322     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s

From link.

double-decker-trams.jpg

double-decker-trams2.jpg

double-decker-trams3.jpg
From link.

Those things are beasts!

If your headway is low enough, street crossings far enough apart, etc, I agree it can work just fine. A quick look at Denver LRT and the shortest headway I found was 10 minutes with most 15 or 30 minutes, and at that length of headway (and more spread out western city/int he burbs), signal priority will work just fine. Trying to make it work with 90s headways (which are awesome as a user, going from 10 minute to 90s headways saves everyone 4m15s per trip per direction!) not so much.

So why build 75% of a line to support 90s headways and all the expense related to that, to then ruin it with a section that can only reasonably support 5+ minute ones (or if your metrolinx, apparently they think they can get to 2 minute headways over that section based on the 15000 people per hour per direction). The only good news is that by pissing off both sides equally, it may actually be fixable with a better solution than a non-sense linear transfer and making this line what it truly should be. What is most annoying is that I doubt it would have cost that much more to do it right the first time....
Calgary and Edmonton both have the same crossing gates on its lines and they had very frequent service pre-pandemic. In the 3 minute range IIRC. There's no practical reason that they couldn't have done the same on Eglinton.

i was thinking the same... it's June 2021 and they're only now just starting construction??
That taller grey building in the background of most of the photos? That's the secondary entrance structure, which also contains a lot of the ancillary equipment for the station. Transformer, ventilation, switchgear, etc.

So no, they're not only now just starting construction. They've been working above ground level for some time.

The main entrance will be located in the north-east corner of the intersection, and as it is a simpler facility - basically just an entrance pavilion - it will take far less time to erect.

Dan

That taller grey building in the background of most of the photos? That's the secondary entrance structure, which also contains a lot of the ancillary equipment for the station. Transformer, ventilation, switchgear, etc.

So no, they're not only now just starting construction. They've been working above ground level for some time.

The main entrance will be located in the north-east corner of the intersection, and as it is a simpler facility - basically just an entrance pavilion - it will take far less time to erect.

Dan
well also since they found out that they got an extra year to complete the line they might as well relax their construction schedule. I fully expect them to be much farther down the road had the 2021 deadline been adhered to

Just a nitpick but I think those name plates would be better if they were orange; it would really liven up the place. I don't really get what Metrolinx has against colour.
What seems to be the case is that the colour depends on the type of station. It seems like on Interchange and Future interchange stations (Mt. Dennis, Caledonia, Cedarvale, Eglinton, Science Center, and Kennedy) the tiles are orange, meanwhile on non interchange stations its either gray or black. I haven't been able to pin down what determines if its gray or black, but it seems to be based off whether or not the station is under a major arterial, in which case the tile is black (so this applies to Fairbank, Forest Hill, and Leaside), and gray under local streets. The only exception to this rule seems to be Keelesdale which went for a gray despite being under Keele, but I guess since Keele is sort of weird there they thought to not classify it as a major arterial ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

great little progress video, not far off finished by the looks of things! View attachment 328442
This picture shows how much Eglinton Connects needs to be implemented sooner than later. It's nice that Metrolinx is putting in the bicycle lanes at the stations, but the connections between stations will be sorely needed. If you're cycling eastbound, after the bicycle lane ends, you need to merge into traffic then navigate around parked cars.

i was thinking the same... it's June 2021 and they're only now just starting construction??
Most of these photos (including all the ones with the GFL excavators) are of the condo project, not the station project.

The station project officially includes two entrances, one in the NE corner of Bathurst and Eglinton and one where the House of Chan was, and both are well above grade and about as close to being finished as any other Crosstown structure in this part of the world. So safe to assume they're on track to open whenever the rest of the line is ready.

The condo incorporates a bonus entrance (that will come via a knock-out panel) that was never really expected to open with the rest of the line. If anything, the delay to the Crosstown means it may lag behind the rest by a fairly small margin in the end.

Last edited:

Back