News   Apr 16, 2024
 161     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 698     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

All the rails are now being wrap with rubber like TTC, except in about 4' length including all rails already installed. Does this mean rails will have concrete pour between them like TTC in place of being exposed??
I wonder if they are putting concrete around the rails but not in between them?

I think this is wishful thinking by everyone here. I'm fairly confident they are just going to put concrete slabs along the whole ROW
EEEA0EF9-0D2F-472B-9C3A-BFFED89B57F3.jpeg
Minus the greenway sections of course. I seem to recall that at surface stations, the area will be entirely slab concrete. Something about public safety in case someone ended up on the tracks.

How does snow clearing work with grass? A rubber tire plough would rip up the grass, and plough on rails may not have enough traction to push snow?

How does snow clearing work with grass? A rubber tire plough would rip up the grass, and plough on rails may not have enough traction to push snow?

I don’t know this for sure, but I’d assume that the grass sections will simply be cleared by LRVs running along them, similar to how the ION LRT “railway sections” are cleared the same way. Since Line 5‘s RoW is dedicated, as long as trains can pass (you’d need a ton of snow to obstruct an LRV) then it’s all good.

Wouldn't you get windrows from plowing cross-streets?

There needs to be some kind of plan. Toronto does occasionally get heavy snowfall.

View attachment 292529Minus the greenway sections of course. I seem to recall that at surface stations, the area will be entirely slab concrete. Something about public safety in case someone ended up on the tracks.

Was this ever confirmed? I thought it was just proposed.

I'm not confident it will happen, ill believe it when I see it in Toronto.

Wouldn't you get windrows from plowing cross-streets?

There needs to be some kind of plan. Toronto does occasionally get heavy snowfall.
unless a road plow somehow manages to create a windrow that is at least half the height of a Flexity Freedom LRV you aren't going to see any issues with the LRVs just bashing a hole through windrows on their own. Winter maintenance of an LRT line usually just involves running the trains. ION for example will run trains all night during snow storms to keep the line clean.

I think this is wishful thinking by everyone here. I'm fairly confident they are just going to put concrete slabs along the whole ROW
I think some of the sections of it are designated to have grass like the section before Victoria park that's raised above the road, however I could see them putting concrete in at the stops and some of the right of way so that emergency services can access them easier and not have to block traffic.

Back