News   Apr 19, 2024
 216     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 506     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 855     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I shouldn't like to put any stock in to anything BlogTO has to say. Any respectable journalist (which, I'll grant, are few and far in between these days) would go by more than literal hints before breaking a news story.

If the line won't be finished until summer, there is zero chance of it entering service in the summer. Time is needed in order to test the line and get everyone trained.

I shouldn't like to put any stock in to anything BlogTO has to say. Any respectable journalist (which, I'll grant, are few and far in between these days) would go by more than literal hints before breaking a news story.

If the line won't be finished until summer, there is zero chance of it entering service in the summer. Time is needed in order to test the line and get everyone trained.

I don't see anything wrong with this article. They are reporting the possible implication of a statement in an official document, not hearsay. The key words in the headline are 'hints' and 'could'.

I don't see anything wrong with this article. They are reporting the possible implication of a statement in an official document, not hearsay. The key words in the headline are 'hints' and 'could'.
Except that the author has created a link where one doesn't exist. The completion of the surface construction does not equal the completion of the line as a whole.

If the line was ready to open tomorrow, they would do so - regardless of the condition of the streets above.

Conversely, just because the streets will be ready by this summer doesn't necessarily mean that the line will be ready to open this calendar year if there is still much underground work to be done.

Dan

Except that the author has created a link where one doesn't exist. The completion of the surface construction does not equal the completion of the line as a whole.

If the line was ready to open tomorrow, they would do so - regardless of the condition of the streets above.

Conversely, just because the streets will be ready by this summer doesn't necessarily mean that the line will be ready to open this calendar year if there is still much underground work to be done.

Dan
You do know that they have been running test trains in the tunnels of Line 5 since November of 2021?

^It does sound closer to “We found a problem, we had to engineer and implement a solution, we have done that, and everything looks good so we are backfilling and getting things finished” than “we are working on it”. Hopefully that’s the case.

I truly don’t envy whoever has to make the decision that it’s OK to close up. Whatever “it” was, you don’t want to be wrong and have to start digging all over.….

- Paul

Dan

Actually, the reporter contacted Metrolinx for comment and they don't seem to agree with your reasoning. They don't seem to disagree with it either, though :)

Last edited:
^It does sound closer to “We found a problem, we had to engineer and implement a solution, we have done that, and everything looks good so we are backfilling and getting things finished” than “we are working on it”. Hopefully that’s the case.

I truly don’t envy whoever has to make the decision that it’s OK to close up. Whatever “it” was, you don’t want to be wrong and have to start digging all over.….

- Paul

this is where the lack of transparency from ML is scary ... would feel a lot better if they just came out and explained the cause of the delay and the steps taken to fix it

this is where the lack of transparency from ML is scary ... would feel a lot better if they just came out and explained the cause of the delay and the steps taken to fix it
But the communist and dictatorship at ML doesn’t care.

I think there can be more transparency than there has been, but if there is a legal dispute between Ml and the contractor, or the contractor and a sub, you can be sure that no one will say anything… possibly not even after a settlement is reached.

Or, they truly don’t have a timeline yet, so they havenothing to report.

- Paul

Seems to be overstated. How many months of trial running is TTC planning on doing?

I doubt we'll see this until fall (or at least after Labour Day) at the earliest. I wouldn't be shocked about 2024 at this stage.

Perhaps we'll see Line 5 and Line 6 open simultaneously with the closure of Line 3.

Seems to be overstated. How many months of trial running is TTC planning on doing?

I doubt we'll see this until fall (or at least after Labour Day) at the earliest. I wouldn't be shocked about 2024 at this stage.

Perhaps we'll see Line 5 and Line 6 open simultaneously with the closure of Line 3.
It’s sad that it seems more and more likely Line 3 will close first, then line 6 opens and finally line 5 will operate with possibly defects that require slow orders till they can fix some major issues( totally speculating). I mean we did hear about the vehicles having trouble staying on tracks.

Yeah, any hiccups could opening.

I'd hope if there are issues impacting service, that they just keep it closed until they are fixed, and it's properly tested. We don't need a repeat of the Ottawa LRT debacle.

Back