News   Apr 17, 2024
 267     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 273     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.7K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I believe a fare gate costs about $45K to purchase and install. To break even each fare gate would need to catch 13,900 fare evasions and this doesn't count people who use a child pass or discount pass that clearly don't qualify for one because the fare gate can't validate that information. If everyone and a high volume transfer point needed to tap that would mean a very large number of gate installs. I'm not sure how big the fare evasion issue is (excluding those with child or discount passes the don't qualify for), but unless it is significant there are probably better ways to deal with it. Now if the Metrolinx pushes for fare by distance across all modes with a tap off required, then this additional number of gates might pay for themselves in other ways.
Whatever I'm just thinking that because the TTC doesn't actually own the line they should treat it separately like they do if you connect from the go train and Metrolinx should be the one's who should deal with that as apparently they know better than everyone else does now because the provincial government told them that they do

I think some routes are better than others just like some stations are better than others like for example any time i go to main Street station there are people who just walk right in through the bus and streetcar boarding areas into the station and down to the subway. They probably think that it's ok because they don't get caught doing it but it's not.
...and I have seen people hop over gates. Without enforcement, awareness of people getting caught, and penalties that ensure that the price of not paying is much higher than paying, the issue isn't going to go away. GO transit operated for many years in a way that people knew that if they rode the GO for free every day for a couple of weeks, there was a high probability of getting caught. I haven't seen a fare inspector on the TTC other than at the end of the 510, and most infractions that occur with TTC staff witnessing them don't lead to action.

I ride the King streetcar almost every day, and the level of compliance is very high. It's obviously not 100%, but pretty close. There's a fair amount of fare enforcement these days, though they'd be easy to dodge if you planned for it.
Good to know. I should start paying I guess. :D (Before anyone responds... I'm kidding)

...and I have seen people hop over gates. Without enforcement, awareness of people getting caught, and penalties that ensure that the price of not paying is much higher than paying, the issue isn't going to go away. GO transit operated for many years in a way that people knew that if they rode the GO for free every day for a couple of weeks, there was a high probability of getting caught. I haven't seen a fare inspector on the TTC other than at the end of the 510, and most infractions that occur with TTC staff witnessing them don't lead to action.
Must be some dedicated evader to hop the gate every day. If they are truly broke, lost their wallet, homeless or mental issues, they can do that. A fare gate would reduce these for regular folks who sees the flaw and simply take advantage of it. If fare gates help enforce a better society and not state of anarchy, I think it's a good idea.

Must be some dedicated evader to hop the gate every day. If they are truly broke, lost their wallet, homeless or mental issues, they can do that. A fare gate would reduce these for regular folks who sees the flaw and simply take advantage of it. If fare gates help enforce a better society and not state of anarchy, I think it's a good idea.
It is this view that suggests catching people, talking to them to figure out why they aren't paying, and the risk of a punishing fine and a few days locked up to think about it is the better solution. If we have a society where every store needs gates, every transit stop needs gates, public area needs cameras, have we made a better society? Having been a child at a time where everyone's front door was unlocked and farmers had stands with produce sitting in their front yard with prices on a board and a box to slip money into, a need to put gates everywhere and garbage bins everywhere doesn't seem like "improving society". We somehow need to train people respect... I don't know how but let's put our money there instead of buying $45K a pop fate gates to check and re-check if people paid $3.25.

Last edited:
so basicity anyone can get on without paying a fee which is exactly why I could se the TTC wanting fare gates at their stations.

As opposed to people walking in off of the street, as people do today?

As opposed to people walking onto buses and streetcars without paying, and then getting into the subway through the fare-paid zone, as people do today?

You're trying too hard to find a future problem that (A) already exists, and (B) doesn't need to be resolved other than with more enforcement.

Dan

A fair point on the indefinite delay. Crosslinx/ML has left us with no indication as to when this project will be completed. I get why they would do that, but it makes it difficult for the province/IO to hold them further accountable (unless Crosslinx has shared a target date with IO in private).

A fair point on the indefinite delay. Crosslinx/ML has left us with no indication as to when this project will be completed. I get why they would do that, but it makes it difficult for the province/IO to hold them further accountable (unless Crosslinx has shared a target date with IO in private).

They absolutely are sharing dates and schedule forecasts in private. The project governance structure for a P3 agreement like this is a lot more complex than just "we push a pile of money at you and you get it done", there is government oversight every step of the way.

Mount Dennis Platforms have a ton of work to be done yet, Grass going in at the Weston Rd entrance with the north side sidewalk and cycles lanes still close off.

Keelesdale Station surprised me, as I was expecting to see a clear site considering where things were back in June, but still looks the same. They have added an Roncesvalles style platform for the westbound Eglinton bus stop in front of the station entrance.

Caledonia Station far from completion with the roof over the buses still be enclosed as well work within the station itself. Station still has a construction door for the main station door. The bus bay area is pour as well the North sidewalk for the block west of the bridge. The sidewalk is real wide and setup for the relocation of the crosswalk and traffic lights. Footing in place for the traffic west of the new bus exit about 50' to the west of the current location which will mean cars will no longer will be abele to make a right turn on a red heading east on Eglinton. The grounds of the site look the same since I last saw it.

I can’t believe Caroline Mulroney really used “blame the Liberals“ as an excuse. A blatant lack of accountability from the transport minister.

I can’t believe Caroline Mulroney really used “blame the Liberals“ as an excuse. A blatant lack of accountability from the transport minister.

Given how long they have been in power they can only say that for so much longer.

After a certain point it's no longer about what the Liberals did.

Finch West will open before this line.
Given what I have seen the last few days, things are behind schedule with an opening date pf summer or fall 2023, well in advance of Finch. I have yet to look at Finch since my last visit earlier this year as it out of my way. Hope to so this week, subject to weather and time.

What is taking place unseen by us is where the big issue is with Yonge being the biggest of them all. Only when Yonge is finish, will the line open 100%.

Isn't Finch to open in 2024?

Given what I have seen the last few days, things are behind schedule with an opening date pf summer or fall 2023, well in advance of Finch. I have yet to look at Finch since my last visit earlier this year as it out of my way. Hope to so this week, subject to weather and time.

What is taking place unseen by us is where the big issue is with Yonge being the biggest of them all. Only when Yonge is finish, will the line open 100%.

Isn't Finch to open in 2024?

1666465752223.png

1666465766891.png

substantial completion expected by apr 2023, revenue service expected by september 2023

source

Back