News   Apr 23, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 431     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Keelesdale today:

20220904_141434.jpg

Last edited:
Saw the sprinklers watering the on track grass west of Kennedy? to vicpark. There is a section grass has completely gone brown and wonder if the sprinklers weren't installed yet. The gap where there is grass/not looks strange, it's very segmented and the overall finish of the stations looks drab. There were also already at least 3 panels of glass broken.

Pickring Go station has had broken windows on the pedestrian bridge for almost 4 years after reporting... I hope thst is not a sign of how they will maintain the Eglinton LRT infra. I never understood why Toronto was poor at the overall finish/polish/look of their stations.

Pickring Go station has had broken windows on the pedestrian bridge for almost 4 years after reporting... I hope thst is not a sign of how they will maintain the Eglinton LRT infra. I never understood why Toronto was poor at the overall finish/polish/look of their stations.
The LED lighting on the Pickering bridge has also been messed up for well over a year. I hope there are no maintenance intensive art pieces on The Crosstown. We have a poor track record of taking care of things after they’ve been installed.

Is there a reason why the station ceiling is so high?

The taller ceiling will make the entrance pavilion feel airy and pleasant. It looks more like a landmark to attract people to use the infrastructure. Perhaps it will also allow light to penetrate deeper into the underground part of the station?

Is there a reason why the station ceiling is so high?
It improves the natural light reaching most parts of the station. This is one of the things that was done well with this project. They tried to make it welcoming and no hiding spots (e.g. no third passaging on the platform at Queen's Park and St Patrick)

Empire building

In all seriousness though, the Crosstown stations are relatively simple and conservative in their approach, yet stylish and attractive. They are not grandiose like the stations on the YUS extension or unbelievably drab like the Sheppard Line. I think they hit a good line right down the middle and I think they are a testament on how to build simple yet elegant stations that are enjoyable to use, but don't feel like a complete waste of taxpayer money.

I wonder why between the 3 interchange station why Kennedy finished first, and why it was the easiest one to finish first.

Cedarvale is taking a long time to complete now, even though it looked like a large substantial amount was finished from say 6months ago. I understand they had unexpected things show up at Yonge, and Xtra reinforcement was needed if I remember reading correctly around here in the past, but I wonder what details are being learnt

I wonder why between the 3 interchange station why Kennedy finished first, and why it was the easiest one to finish first.

Cedarvale is taking a long time to complete now, even though it looked like a large substantial amount was finished from say 6months ago. I understand they had unexpected things show up at Yonge, and Xtra reinforcement was needed if I remember reading correctly around here in the past, but I wonder what details are being learnt
because line 2 doesnt run under eglinton east? therefore easiest to dig at
1662661157780.png
1662661157780.png

In all seriousness though, the Crosstown stations are relatively simple and conservative in their approach, yet stylish and attractive. They are not grandiose like the stations on the YUS extension or unbelievably drab like the Sheppard Line. I think they hit a good line right down the middle and I think they are a testament on how to build simple yet elegant stations that are enjoyable to use, but don't feel like a complete waste of taxpayer money.

I do believe the Eglinton station designers missed the opportunity to make midrise affordable housing over the station entrances. Or at least leave the structural elements to build up the building in the future.

This would not only help with the housing issue immediately, but also set a precedent to future proposals to redevelop along Eglinton.

I do believe the Eglinton station designers missed the opportunity to make midrise affordable housing over the station entrances. Or at least leave the structural elements to build up the building in the future.

This would not only help with the housing issue immediately, but also set a precedent to future proposals to redevelop along Eglinton.
This would add at least 2 more years of delay. ML was behind already and having to design all the entrances for housing would stall the project.

I believe Leaside Station is the only station designed to have a condo possible be built on top of the entrance. http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/default/files/leaside_final.pdf

This would add at least 2 more years of delay. ML was behind already and having to design all the entrances for housing would stall the project.

I believe Leaside Station is the only station designed to have a condo possible be built on top of the entrance. http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/default/files/leaside_final.pdf

Any reason the other station entrances could not be designed similar to Leaside?

ML doesn't need to design and build the midrises above the station boxes, just design the stations so a midrise can be incorporated in the future.

Most of the stations are designed to allow for a building to be built over at least one of the entrances. That goes for Eglinton-Yonge as well.

The bigger issue is that the majority of those sites are simply not in a position to have those additional structures built yet - they are, or were until very recently, active work sites.

Dan

Back