News   Apr 24, 2024
 987     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 631     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Trying to name every station after a street is only helpful in that it’s consistent with most of Line 1/Line 2. Naming stations for nearby landmarks or, if none exists, neighbourhoods—just like London UK— is great.
This obsession with street names just does not scale. We have Lawrence West, Lawrence, Lawrence East, and if the Ontario line gets extended we’ll have Lawrence Middle East.
Just because naming things differently is a change doesn’t mean it’s bad. In fact, we may have been doing it wrong this whole time

Name them after random words. How long until people decide that X street has to change because it was named after someone objectionable, and thus the station as well.
Looking at you Dundas.

Naming stations for nearby landmarks or, if none exists, neighbourhoods—just like London UK— is great.

But in London, the neighborhoods are well known. If you ask someone where they live, they will say things like Watford, Kensal Rise, Brixton, Amersham, Islington or Epping. Those are all names of stations on various TFL lines.

But in London, the neighborhoods are well known. If you ask someone where they live, they will say things like Watford, Kensal Rise, Brixton, Amersham, Islington or Epping. Those are all names of stations on various TFL lines.
Well the question is why are those neighbourhoods known? Perhaps the fact that they're highlighted on the tube map that people know about them and where they're located. I've never been to London, but I know that Canning Town is on the DLR and is an interchange with the Jubilee, so even knowing very little about the road network of London, I know that if someone says they live in Canning Town, its somewhere east of Canary Wharf, near the Docklands.

June 2
51223851393_f4fd674896_b.jpg

51223851643_7da1f06bdc_b.jpg

51223638076_4f1cb6e4e8_b.jpg

51223638246_530b3028c7_b.jpg
Noticed the "temporary" wood blocks for the delivery of the light rail vehicle trailer and truck. File away for later reference.

Noticed the "temporary" wood blocks for the delivery of the light rail vehicle trailer and truck. File away for later reference.
I was expecting that to happen, but more so here due to the narrow width of the intersection. This required a longer platform to allow the truck onto it and then backup to the ramp to the track. Ramp the same size as KW one that is in 2 sections

Weston can't be called Weston because Weston GO exists, and Metrolinx wants to unify the GO and TTC station names (granted they're not doing a great job since we still have 2 Eglintons and 2 Mt. Pleasants but that's the goal). As for Bathurst North, Dufferin North, Keele North, whatever. That will work, until they build a new line north of Line 5 where, uh oh what are you going to do now? If they extend Line 4 to Sheppard West, are you going to call the station at Bathurst "Bathurst even further North"? What about if they extend Line 6 east to Yonge, will that station be called "Bathurst Ultra North"? Oh Metrolinx is thinking of building an RT line along Steeles, would the station on Bathurst be called "Bathurst as far North as it can go before you're no longer in Toronto?" At some point you have to realize that there's a limit to naming streets after streets, and unless you want to have a bunch of stations named after intersections which aren't exactly nice, you have to think of something else, and naming stations after neighborhoods is a decent compromise.
Easy, use hyphenated names with the street name ie (Bathurst-Forest Hill, Dufferin-Fairbanks or better yet Bathurst-Eglinton Stn.and Dufferin-Eglinton Stn.)
If you are on the crosstown and you hear that Dufferin-Eglinton is the next stop, you instantly know where you are especially since it's underground.
Even if Dufferin-Eglinton is not your stop, you instantly have a mental map and you know how close or far you are from you destination
I used to live near fairbanks and I never knew that was what the neighborhood was called.

Last edited:
Easy, use hyphenated names with the street name ie (Bathurst-Forest Hill, Dufferin-Fairbanks or better yet Bathurst-Eglinton Stn.and Dufferin-Eglinton Stn.)
If you are on the crosstown and you hear that Dufferin-Eglinton is the next stop, you instantly know where you are especially since it's underground.
Even if Dufferin-Eglinton is not your stop, you instantly have a mental map and you know how close or far you are from you destination
I used to live near fairbanks and I never knew that was what the neighborhood was called.
Well we are doing that by putting the streetname as a subtitle. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter too much. Typically when people use a subway/metro system, they often think in terms of "Here is where I am, here is where I want to go, how do I get there? To give a more specific example, imagine I'm at Bessarion Station, and I want to travel down to Forest Hill, I find both stations, I see how I get there (Bessarion -> Sheppard-Yonge -> Eglinton -> Forest Hill). Tourists who aren't familiar with the system likely won't know the streetgrid anyway so naming stations after the streets at best won't do anything for them and at worst will confuse them since there are stations with similar names (Apparently tourists confusing Bloor-Yonge and Bloor GO is a really major issue), and for people who know the city and its layout, they will probably learn quickly that Forest Hill is located on Bathurst Street.

There is a video around showing a 3 car train travelling westbound on the eastbound tracks shot yesterday afternoon and a lot sooner than I thought it would happen.

Might really complicate maps but could work well. I think double street names like Bathurst-Eglinton should be reserved for interchanges but I like the neighbourhood street name ones (Bathurst-Forest Hill). Basic Maps could also just include the neighbourhood or attraction name and then more complicated system diagrams could have the full names

Might really complicate maps but could work well. I think double street names like Bathurst-Eglinton should be reserved for interchanges but I like the neighbourhood street name ones (Bathurst-Forest Hill). Basic Maps could also just include the neighbourhood or attraction name and then more complicated system diagrams could have the full names
Metrolinx explicitly did not want intersection names for stations, and that's why we have so many stations with odd-seeming names rather than the more obvious xx-Eglinton construction.

Reactions: max
Vaughan Centre Is still shitty, it should be Highway 7 Station and Mt Dennis can be Weston South Stn.
St Andrew (King West), Osgood (Queen West), St Patrick (Dundas* change the current Dundas to Dundas East) and Queens Park (College West - Queens Park) likewise should also be changed.
These changes would be so much less confusing. Museum could stay unchanged because it's not on a major intersection.

The Bloor and Sheppard lines got it perfect IMHO, just by looking at the name you know exactly where you are, instead of trying to remember what street pioneer village is near to, or trying to remember which of St Andrew and St Patrick is really King or Dundas Street
I'll pass on this kind of naming scheme. Neighborhood names and key non-commercial place names are more unique. Having Bathurst (Line 1), Bathurst North (Line 5), Bathurst Even Further North (Sheppard West), Bathurst Holy Crap This Is North (Finch),. Bathurst BFD OMG North (Highway 7 BRT), etc seems limited. I think split names at transfer stations is cumbersome to (e.g. Bloor-Yonge, Eglinton-Yonge, Sheppard-Yonge vs Yorkville, Midtown, Sheppard Centre). Not that I'm against using cross street names but that the name be used once in the location most appropriate location to associate with it.

Bloor GO and Bloor-Yonge probably will become larger issues over time with people from out of town.

I'll pass on this kind of naming scheme. Neighborhood names and key non-commercial place names are more unique. Having Bathurst (Line 1), Bathurst North (Line 5), Bathurst Even Further North (Sheppard West), Bathurst Holy Crap This Is North (Finch),. Bathurst BFD OMG North (Highway 7 BRT), etc seems limited. I think split names at transfer stations is cumbersome to (e.g. Bloor-Yonge, Eglinton-Yonge, Sheppard-Yonge vs Yorkville, Midtown, Sheppard Centre). Not that I'm against using cross street names but that the name be used once in the location most appropriate location to associate with it.

Bloor GO and Bloor-Yonge probably will become larger issues over time with people from out of town.
The whole problem could have been solved if GO Transit renamed its Bloor station to Bloor-Dundas West. The TTC's Bloor-Yonge station is older and gets to keep its name. Eglinton GO station can be renamed Bellamy as the TTC's Eglinton station is older.

Back