News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 386     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 959     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

This line is opening sometime in 2023 IMO. Not surprised. A good 12 years after construction started. This is embarrassing.
"Metrolinx predicted the LRT would be complete some time in 2022, but never announced a firm date. Monday’s ruling likely means the two sides will set a new deadline, and Crosslinx could avoid at least some of the financial penalties it was facing for missing the original schedule."

LRT is fast to build they said...

/s
This is exactly what I think when transit city supporters claim "Scarborough would have had 69,420 kilometres of LRT by now." It seems like any major transit/infra project in Ontario is subject to considerable delays nowadays.

LRT is fast to build they said...

/s

The surface portion is obviously less complex and easier to build than the tunnel portion. I have read anywhere that the surface portion has caused great difficulty or significantly contributed to the delay.

The surface portion is obviously less complex and easier to build than the tunnel portion. I have read anywhere that the surface portion has caused great difficulty or significantly contributed to the delay.
Ye I know, that's why I added the /s

If we want to see which is faster to build, we can use the start and end dates of the FInch West and Eglinton Transit City lines, once construction is complete.

This line is opening sometime in 2023 IMO. Not surprised. A good 12 years after construction started. This is embarrassing.
It is not that bad. The tunnelling contract 1 was signed September 2012 and work completed January 2015, and tunnelling contract 2 was signed November 2013 and work completed August 2016, and stations contract was signed late 2015 and was supposed to complete in 2020 but will complete in late 2022 pushing opening to 2023. So tunnelling contracts completed in 3 years, and station contract will have taken 7 years, 1.5 years of those during a pandemic. Seven years is similar to the Spadina extention I think. All these projects seem to take 7 years.

Really I would expect most stations other than the most central stations from Cedarvale to Mount Pleasant and Kennedy to reach substantial completion this year, and that all the street holes will be filled in except for Yonge-Eglinton. Right now they are just pouring concrete like crazy. Many of the central stations didn't have a shovel in the ground until 2017. Mount Pleasant only started in 2018 focused on a storm sewer and only really getting to the station in late 2018 with them pouring half the station box roof in 2019, and the other half at the very beginning of 2020.

I assume that the reason all three contracts didn't get signed in 2012 is financial, but you can't start the stopwatch until a contract is signed.

My hope at the time was the station's architectural uniformity would speed things up quite a bit. Hm maybe it has, and this would've taken a lot longer if each were architecturally unique.

Oakwood station on May 15 and 16, 2021:

Secondary entrance:

IMG_0394.jpg
IMG_0395.jpg
IMG_0396.jpg

Main entrance:

IMG_0397.jpg
IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0399.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0401.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg