News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 551     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

^If it was truly the first trip, the vehicle would have been equipped with cameras and clearance test material, and it would indeed have moved slowly. Maybe that’s why the video is sped up. I would not read anything into the video as an indication of speed.
Besides, it’s running against current of traffic,ie eastwards in the westward lane.

- Paul

Both tracks have to be tested in both directions. People were asking the same question during Ion's testing phase, and it now runs with trains on the right during normal operation.
So let's say a train breaks down, will there be enough switches/a system in place to allow for other trains to kinda simply go around it, do you reckon?

:oops:In other jurisdictions, they use both directions on the same track in case of problems such as breakdowns or injuries. Using the crossovers to switch around the obstruction. Can't see that happening in Toronto because that would be too complex of an operation for us.

I remember reading that Ottawa's LRT is designed for 15min single track service in case one of the tracks can't be used. I can't seem to find it though. I don't know if the crosstown has anything similar. It does have many crossovers though.
Images here:

So let's say a train breaks down, will there be enough switches/a system in place to allow for other trains to kinda simply go around it, do you reckon?

Ion has occasionally 'reverse run' through a section while in service to deal with a blockage, but it doesn't happen often. Typically they'll bustitute instead, which takes forever for them to get started. :-(

Ion has occasionally 'reverse run' through a section while in service to deal with a blockage, but it doesn't happen often. Typically they'll bustitute instead, which takes forever for them to get started. :-(

Wish the TTC could use single-track bypass operations on Line 1 or 2. Need more crossovers tracks unfortunately. Maybe by the 22nd century.

Wish the TTC could use single-track bypass operations on Line 1 or 2. Need more crossovers tracks unfortunately. Maybe by the 22nd century.
I checked my browser history. I frequent the TTC website quite often. From April 27-30, The TTC was doing some track maintenance on one piece of the track somewhere in the Vaughan section. This meant that the ttc operated 15 minute frequency both ways from pioneer village to VMC by using a single track only. The page is now long gone. But I swear.

I checked my browser history. I frequent the TTC website quite often. From April 27-30, The TTC was doing some track maintenance on one piece of the track somewhere in the Vaughan section. This meant that the ttc operated 15 minute frequency both ways from pioneer village to VMC by using a single track only. The page is now long gone. But I swear.

Here!

I seem to recall someone else in the know (@smallspy perhaps?) saying that they couldn't turn off the power to just one track or the other in the subway, apparently it was never built that way.

I seem to recall someone else in the know (@smallspy perhaps?) saying that they couldn't turn off the power to just one track or the other in the subway, apparently it was never built that way.
If it's just a mechanical issue or emergency alarm, they wouldn't have to turn power off. If it's a track fire, it might not be right to keep running trains in the other direction either. It's not right to continue running trains while there is a priority one on the other side of the platform.

I would say how the issues wouldn't matter if they couldn't turn off power on one side.

That is correct for the vast majority of the system as it was built. In fact, there were relatively few power cut districts, and so an emergency cut of power would knock out a relatively large area.

This is not the case, however, for the TYSSE. The power district configuration is fine-grained enough to be able to cut power to just one track, and an emergency power cut will only affect one station. That is why they were able to do trackwork on one track, but still run revenue service on the other.

The rest of the system will be upgraded to this spec over time, and some aspects of it are already in place. But to the best of my knowledge it will not be possible to cut the power to just one track in the cut-and-covered sections of tunnel.

Dan

Better to design it properly from the start than try to fix a bad design years down the road.

From the same video that NoahB linked, this is how the Eglinton surface section should have been designed. No red lights and much faster travel times. It's a vastly different riding experience compared to a streetcar that stops at red lights.

Agreed. My point is that it's not an insurmountable problem with a relatively easy fix if it's not delivering at least expected results.

Back