News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 386     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 962     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Just me or do none of these look anywhere close to completion?
You're not wrong. I can't believe they had a completion date of 2020. I think the problem is how they don't have 24hr construction. This shouldn't be taking this long. I understand it's one of (if not) the biggest transit project in North America right now, but a project this size would be done in 5-7 years max in Asia or Europe. I don't understand why everything thing transit related seems to take long in Toronto and be more expensive. Why is this??

That's a relatively easy problem to fix if the line isn't meeting expectations.
Better to design it properly from the start than try to fix a bad design years down the road.

From the same video that NoahB linked, this is how the Eglinton surface section should have been designed. No red lights and much faster travel times. It's a vastly different riding experience compared to a streetcar that stops at red lights.

You're not wrong. I can't believe they had a completion date of 2020. I think the problem is how they don't have 24hr construction. This shouldn't be taking this long. I understand it's one of (if not) the biggest transit project in North America right now, but a project this size would be done in 5-7 years max in Asia or Europe. I don't understand why everything thing transit related seems to take long in Toronto and be more expensive. Why is this??
I think the biggest problem is that they seem to have very few crews working on it. What they should have done is each station has a crew working on it. The above ground section should have been the last too see any finishing work done. As it is now the middle section will probably be still under construction and the above ground section will be completely fished just waiting for it to be used.

^ That's true. I would have to assume that the design passed some kind of safety standard so maybe others are more familiar.

^Knowing how the TTC likes to operate streetcars at a snails pace and place slow orders all over the subway system, it probably will be this slow upon revenue service.

Back