Toronto Crosstown LRT: Leaside Station | ?m | 1s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

Do you prefer the name Leaside or Bayview for this station?

• Leaside Station

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • Bayview Station

Votes: 39 43.8%

• Total voters
Yes, let's duplicate station names. I say, this station at Eglinton & Bayview should keep the Leaside name. And the next station at Eglinton and Laird should be renamed Leaside too. That way, there'll be 2 Leaside Stations on the Eglinton Crosstown Line,.... don't worry, people will get used to it!

Yes, let's duplicate station names. I say, this station at Eglinton & Bayview should keep the Leaside name. And the next station at Eglinton and Laird should be renamed Leaside too. That way, there'll be 2 Leaside Stations on the Eglinton Crosstown Line,.... don't worry, people will get used to it!
that's ridiculous. It's one thing to have duplicate names but on different lines i.e St Clair on Yonge and St Clair West on spadina., Lawrence on Yonge and lawrence west on spadina, etc vs duplicate names on the same line following each other

that's ridiculous. It's one thing to have duplicate names but on different lines i.e St Clair on Yonge and St Clair West on spadina., Lawrence on Yonge and lawrence west on spadina, etc vs duplicate names on the same line following each other

Can you name a city that duplicates station names on its rail transit lines? I can't.

Can we get over this provincial fear of duplicate station names? People will get used to it.

I think we need to get over our provincial insistence on using street names to name stations. Let's engage in some place-making and name stations after the communities/neighbourhoods that they serve, like (most of) the rest of the world.

Can you name a city that duplicates station names on its rail transit lines? I can't.

I think we need to get over our provincial insistence on using street names to name stations. Let's engage in some place-making and name stations after the communities/neighbourhoods that they serve, like (most of) the rest of the world.

New York does it, and it works fine. If the TTC can rip off their line numbering system, then how about they figure out how to live with a few duplicate names in some places.

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 11.06.55 AM.png

Fine. If that's the direction this city decides to take, then here's a preview of the mess that we can look forward to in the near future.

Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 6.01.51 PM.png

Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 6.01.07 PM.png

For now it's just the Finch and Sheppard LRT. Once day the same exercise will have to be done for Crosstown East, West, Relief Line and Jane LRT.

Still, notice how several stops such as Victoria Park still have no recommendation due to "no obvious options here". So much for that "place-making" that you were talking about. For most people that live in the suburbs, the only sense of place they have with their neighbourhoods are the gas stations and parking lot of their local plaza.

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 12.14.42 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 11.06.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 11.06.55 AM.png
    318.7 KB · Views: 549
  • Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 6.01.07 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 6.01.07 PM.png
    329.2 KB · Views: 496
  • Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 6.01.51 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 6.01.51 PM.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 495
  • Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 12.14.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 12.14.42 PM.png
    802.1 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
New York does it, and it works fine. If the TTC can rip off their line numbering system, then how about they figure out how to live with a few duplicate names in some places.

Still, notice how several stops such as Victoria Park still have no recommendation due to "no obvious options here". So much for that "place-making" that you were talking about. For most people that live in the suburbs, the only sense of place they have with their neighbourhoods are the gas stations and parking lot of their local plaza.

Touché. However, we lack the amount of coverage that Manhattan has (making street name stops less necessary), and we also lack a numbered street grid, which further detracts from the usefulness of street names as navigation tools.

As for suburban areas only known by intersection; that's the point of place making. Victoria Village NIA is right at the Victoria Park stop, as well as the Wexford and Maryvale neighbourhoods. 3 options for a community based name. Residents will know where the station is.

I don't care if LRT stops get the same names as other stops all over the TTC system: do we worry about streetcar or bus stop names? Nope, so no big deal re: the Finch West or Sheppard East LRT stop names. It's just not the same thing as station names.

I don't care if LRT stops get the same names as other stops all over the TTC system: do we worry about streetcar or bus stop names? Nope, so no big deal re: the Finch West or Sheppard East LRT stop names. It's just not the same thing as station names.

The Problem is that Metrolink hired an outside consultant that though using repeated street names was confusing to poel despite the fact that we already have Dundas and Dundas west, Lawrence East, Lawrence and Lawrence West and soon we will have Sheppard- Yonge and Shepard West

That's not the point of my post. There's a context for it that includes the several posts before it, including my previous one too.

That's not the point of my post. There's a context for it that includes the several posts before it, including my previous one too.

I understand I was just sating why it's being done the way it is. Personally I would rather we keep up the same way of anm,ing stops as we did with the existing lines but apparently Metalinks consultant knows best and we need to flow what they have picked out as names.

Like a lot of people, I responded to Metrolinx's survey for the station names, and I suggested some names, and voted on all of them, and am happy that we now have, for example, Keelesdale, Fairbank, Forest Hill, and Leaside. I don't see the names as a problem: I see an overzealous adherence to strict street names as the be all and end all as a problem… which I have already explained in my posts.

From this link:

Eglinton Crosstown Update: Open House Meeting

Leaside Station

Join us at our upcoming open house and learn about the future Leaside Station, one of 15 underground stations on the new Eglinton line now under construction.

Join Metrolinx and its constructor, Crosslinx Transit Solutions (CTS), at an open house to find out:

• what construction is happening in your neighbourhood
  • why it needs to happen
  • how it may impact you
  • who to contact if you have questions/concerns
  • when construction is happening
Thursday, March 2, 2017

6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Leaside Memorial Community Gardens

1073 Millwood Road

leaside_open_house_0.png

From this link:

Eglinton Crosstown Update: Open House Meeting

Leaside Station

Join us at our upcoming open house and learn about the future Leaside Station, one of 15 underground stations on the new Eglinton line now under construction.

Join Metrolinx and its constructor, Crosslinx Transit Solutions (CTS), at an open house to find out:

• what construction is happening in your neighbourhood
  • why it needs to happen
  • how it may impact you
  • who to contact if you have questions/concerns
  • when construction is happening
Thursday, March 2, 2017

6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Leaside Memorial Community Gardens

1073 Millwood Road

leaside_open_house_0.png
these meetings are a waste. What is really learned from them.

These aren't planning meetings. They are construction meetings. It's all about the little things. Where to put your garbage. Which businesses will need some special attention. Communicating perhaps which weekends are important for the community.

Back