Toronto Crosstown LRT: Cedarvale Station | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | NORR

UT Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
There's a new database page for Allen Road-Eglinton West Station on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT Line. Lots of renders, drawings and construction to discuss!

Eg west lrt.jpg

Attachments

• Eg west lrt.jpg
    Eg west lrt.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 8,033
The LRT addition should compliment Arthur Erickson's excellent composition of concrete, brick and glass at Eglinton West subway station. To be able to see LRT trains from the subway platform would help people get around the station and would look sophisticated (though I can't comment on the feasibility of such a design).

If they're going to redo this whole intersection they should really try to improve the traffic flow on and off the Allen.

Agreed. If there's any place in Toronto that is an excellent case scenario for a roundabout, Eglinton & Allen Road is it. A large roundabout with the station in the middle would solve a lot of problems. If you're going South on Allen Rd, you can go West by getting off by turning right, enter the roundabout and then go straight to go East or stay on the roundabout to turn around and go North. If you add enough lanes on the roundabout, traffic lights wouldn't even be needed.

It still shows a "Potential Future Entrance/Exit" on the south side of Eglinton Avenue West. "Potential", which means to save "gravy", it may not happen. There should be a southern entrance/exit so that pedestrians would not have to navigate any crossing of a busy Eglinton Avenue.

Agreed. If there's any place in Toronto that is an excellent case scenario for a roundabout, Eglinton & Allen Road is it. A large roundabout with the station in the middle would solve a lot of problems. If you're going South on Allen Rd, you can go West by getting off by turning right, enter the roundabout and then go straight to go East or stay on the roundabout to turn around and go North. If you add enough lanes on the roundabout, traffic lights wouldn't even be needed.

This is an excellent idea, and if drivers in Toronto were actually good enought to learn how to change lanes in one, I think a roundabout is/would be perfect for this intersection. I would say even Mayor Doufus would get on board since its a benefit to cars, but if he knew it was a european thing, he might get angry.

Would people know how to use the roundabout properly?

Is there room for a roundabout here?

A few problems....

1. To fit the round about you would need to essentially get rid of the bus level part of the station.
2. You may need to use part of that police stations parking lot which at the moment could in theory be used for a condo...
3. You may need to use part of ben noblemans park which the whole area would freak out about
4. Even if you could get more cars onto Eglinton faster, Eglinton itself is a parking lot and wouldnt be able to absorb the extra traffic.
5. the small roundabouts like the one in mississauga city centre dont work smoothly because NA drivers are not accustomed to them. If this intersection had a roundabout it would need to be three lanes wide. As a result it would be traffic chaos. I still remember my dad in Amsterdamn trying to navigate a 4 lane roundabout with my mother and sister screaming that they thought we were going to die. To be fair it was pretty close. Its hard enough to go from traffic lights to a heavily used round about but to enter a three or four lane roundabout without the incremental increase in skill is a disaster waiting to happen.

They expect it to be done alongside the crosstown construction as the Allen south of Lawrence will be shut down for 4 years anyways to allow for construction staging for the ECLRT.

They expect it to be done alongside the crosstown construction as the Allen south of Lawrence will be shut down for 4 years anyways to allow for construction staging for the ECLRT.

the original plan was to shut down the north bound allen at eglinton to store the equipment.. there has been a lot of protest to that idea and they said they were working on trying to figure out where else they could put the equipment but I haven't heard any news on that front and I have been to quite a few of the meetings. That being said the South bound Allen does not bother eglinton however it is the on ramp to to allen which clogs up the entire road. Personally and I have said this many times but it just seems that it would make sense to put proper on and off ramps at Lawrence and call it a day. sell the land that the allen is on from Lawrence to Eglinton for development. IF they shut down eglinton for a prolonged period of time maybe they will see the benefit of this. It would also make sense to help the flow of Lawrence.

the original plan was to shut down the north bound allen at eglinton to store the equipment.. there has been a lot of protest to that idea and they said they were working on trying to figure out where else they could put the equipment but I haven't heard any news on that front and I have been to quite a few of the meetings. That being said the South bound Allen does not bother eglinton however it is the on ramp to to allen which clogs up the entire road. Personally and I have said this many times but it just seems that it would make sense to put proper on and off ramps at Lawrence and call it a day. sell the land that the allen is on from Lawrence to Eglinton for development. IF they shut down eglinton for a prolonged period of time maybe they will see the benefit of this. It would also make sense to help the flow of Lawrence.

Personally I think they should shut down the entire thing from 401 going southbound at least and develop the land. Bury the northbound and sell the land to deveopers, reconnect the neighbourhoods it divided. I live at Glencairn and Marlee area, and I never take it at rush hour unless I am going north. Its much more relaxing to take dufferin, or avenue rd from the 401 south.

Back