Toronto Crosstown LRT: Cedarvale Station | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | NORR

I believe that people from the new north side entrances will go not have to go down to Line 5 platform level to access line 1. I believe they will go down one level (to the upper concourse level) to a corridor connecting the two north side entrances that will be an unpaid area. (this would also allow people to use the corridor to traverse the Allen Road intersection on the north side of Eglinton without paying a fare). From the upper concourse riders (after entering fare paid area), would descend to the lower concourse levels - one on each side of the line 1 tunnels. From here they could either descend further to the line 5 platform or take a level walkway north to the line 1 platform. Obviously the east lower concourse would connect to the south end of the northbound line 1 platform and the west lower concourse would connect to the south end of the southbound line 1 platform. Riders (coming from either street level or the line 5 platform) just have to make sure they take the correct escalator to access the appropriate lower concourse level for the particular direction they want to travel on line 1.

There will be a separate fare concourse for the LRT as well as the faregates in the existing entrance (which leads directly down to the subway platform level). Complicated.

It's also a beautiful and classical piece of Canadian modernism. We don't have many Erickson's so why would we tear what we do have down? Especially when this is only 40 years old?

I wasn't saying it should have been demo'd (it's obviously still needed for the bus terminal). Just that the pedestrian entrance be closed.

There will be a separate fare concourse for the LRT as well as the faregates in the existing entrance (which leads directly down to the subway platform level). Complicated.

I wasn't saying it should have been demo'd (it's obviously still needed for the bus terminal). Just that the pedestrian entrance be closed.

The access from Line 5 to the Line 1 SB platform and NB platform will something different from other interchange stations in Toronto. Like, at St George or Bloor-Yonge, they are both centre platforms on Line 1 and 2. So, this is differently going to be interesting to see come September 2021...

The access from Line 5 to the Line 1 SB platform and NB platform will something different from other interchange stations in Toronto. Like, at St George or Bloor-Yonge, they are both centre platforms on Line 1 and 2. So, this is differently going to be interesting to see come September 2021...

Um..., except that Bloor-Yonge is not as you say. While Line 2 has one centre platform, Line 1 has separate side platforms for NB and SB. So, actually Cedarvale will somewhat resemble Bloor-Yonge in that you'll have to pick the correct exit from the centre EB/WB platform (line 2 at Yonge, line 5 at Cedarvale) to go either northbound or southbound. I remember the big "N"'s and "S"'s that used to mark the correct escalators at Yonge Station. I'm not sure when or why they were removed.

Um..., except that Bloor-Yonge is not as you say. While Line 2 has one centre platform, Line 1 has separate side platforms for NB and SB. So, actually Cedarvale will somewhat resemble Bloor-Yonge in that you'll have to pick the correct exit from the centre EB/WB platform (line 2 at Yonge, line 5 at Cedarvale) to go either northbound or southbound. I remember the big "N"'s and "S"'s that used to mark the correct escalators at Yonge Station. I'm not sure when or why they were removed.

I always forget about that at Bloor-Yonge, but still, this situation will be even more interesting as you will have to choose the correct escalator or stairwell to Line 1 NB/SB platforms, or to the Concourse/Exit, but Bloor-Yonge is still like that as well.

Why is there a 53-space parking lot on the northeast corner? Who are those parking spaces for?

The retail strip along Eglinton to Bathurst I suppose

This is an interesting station. As an interchange station, we should be intensifying nearby. The bus station should be demolished after Line 5 opens as it's not needed. It's mostly used now by 32 buses. The 63 and the 109 buses don't need such a large bus terminal as their frequencies are low. A simple bus lane would be sufficient here. The bus station would be a great site for some residential or commercial development. Similarly, that parking lot on the NE corner is a collosal waste of prime land. There is no need for more parking in the area. We need less parking and more density on the new transit corridor.

This is an interesting station. As an interchange station, we should be intensifying nearby. The bus station should be demolished after Line 5 opens as it's not needed. It's mostly used now by 32 buses. The 63 and the 109 buses don't need such a large bus terminal as their frequencies are low. A simple bus lane would be sufficient here. The bus station would be a great site for some residential or commercial development. Similarly, that parking lot on the NE corner is a collosal waste of prime land. There is no need for more parking in the area. We need less parking and more density on the new transit corridor.
It would be interesting if 109 Ranee were to become a branch of 63 Ossington, but again, it would lead to timing issues.

A peek through the hoarding:

1F07EFB1-0C9E-4B97-800B-D6444345FA13.jpeg

It would be interesting if 109 Ranee were to become a branch of 63 Ossington, but again, it would lead to timing issues.

That does not really sound like a good idea. They're better off leaving 109 as just its own route, however if there's one route in that part of town that should branch of another, I kinda want 101 to be a branch of the 84, but way off topic.

Not going to comment on the parking lot, but the station is one of 4 Arthur Erickson buildings built, and still standing, in Toronto. If it is too big for its original purpose, it should be repurposed in some capacity and not torn down. (Also not sure who would want to live in a condo building literally sandwiched between two off-ramps, but who am I to judge?

Back