Toronto Crosstown LRT: Cedarvale Station | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | NORR

Looks great, but honest to god, I don't understand why we need so many entrances to these stations. They take up so much valuable real estate (for potential future developments).
1. Wouldn’t be an issue if these were built into redevelopments.
2. You need at least two for safety. Ie. emergency exits.
3. At this station both the second and third entrances are outside of the “U” formed by the bus loop and the ramps off of and onto the Allen Expressway. You don’t want large masses of people dawdling across those busy intersections. Preferable for pedestrian flow and safety to keep them in the concourse until they are outside of that area.

1. Wouldn’t be an issue if these were built into redevelopments.
2. You need at least two for safety. Ie. emergency exits.
3. At this station both the second and third entrances are outside of the “U” formed by the bus loop and the ramps off of and onto the Allen Expressway. You don’t want large masses of people dawdling across those busy intersections. Preferable for pedestrian flow and safety to keep them in the concourse until they are outside of that area.

There will also be an entrance on the south side of Eglinton, so that people will not have to cross Eglinton Avenue itself to get into the station, as they have to nowadays. Wonder if they will be able to get some of those entrances open before the official opening of the Crosstown.

There will also be an entrance on the south side of Eglinton, so that people will not have to cross Eglinton Avenue itself to get into the station, as they have to nowadays. Wonder if they will be able to get some of those entrances open before the official opening of the Crosstown.
Imagine if the east and west entrances have their opening delayed and only the south entrance opens in addition to the existing north entrance.

And I'm sure it's been brought up already but why is it not ok to call this station Eglinton West station but it's ok to call the one at at Yonge & Eglinton, Eglinton station?
It bothers me too. TTC should have held their ground on this one.

I do think a long term idea (which will never happen) is to rename some of the Yonge spine stations "centre." For example, Sheppard Centre, Eglinton Centre, etc.

I thought of this after my post. I believe I read somewhere that a key design consideration was keeping pedestrians as much as possible out of this very busy "T" intersection. As much as anything, this facilitates bus movement as well as private vehicles. Buses should be delayed minimally and not trapped on the way back out by hordes of wildebeests wandering across the intersections.

^^ Ummm........It will be one station and so the same (rebuilt) concourse. And it's hardly necessary to keep it open for the few people that will be entering the station to get on buses rather than the subway/LRT, especially considering the two new north entrances are being built to avoid crossing the Allen ramps and bus driveways.

^^ Ummm........It will be one station and so the same (rebuilt) concourse. And it's hardly necessary to keep it open for the few people that will be entering the station to get on buses rather than the subway/LRT, especially considering the two new north entrances are being built to avoid crossing the Allen ramps and bus driveways.
So what exactly would be the benefit in closing down the main entrance? Just to say we've reduced the amount of entrances this interchange station would have?

Because it will become redundant when the three new and better entrances are built.

Edit: I looked at the Wikipedia article for the station and noticed how deep the Line 5 platform needs to be due to the Line 1 layout and realized maybe it's too far to go down and come back up even to get to Line 1.

But then one has to wonder why build those new north side entrances when so many people will getting on Line 1 and keep using the current entrance anyway?.

Last edited:
Because it will become redundant when the three new and better entrances are built.

Edit: I looked at the Wikipedia article for the station and noticed how deep the Line 5 platform needs to be due to the Line 1 layout and realized maybe it's too far to go down and come back up even to get to Line 1.

But then one has to wonder why build those new north side entrances when so many people will getting on Line 1 and keep using the current entrance anyway?.

I believe that people from the new north side entrances will go not have to go down to Line 5 platform level to access line 1. I believe they will go down one level (to the upper concourse level) to a corridor connecting the two north side entrances that will be an unpaid area. (this would also allow people to use the corridor to traverse the Allen Road intersection on the north side of Eglinton without paying a fare). From the upper concourse riders (after entering fare paid area), would descend to the lower concourse levels - one on each side of the line 1 tunnels. From here they could either descend further to the line 5 platform or take a level walkway north to the line 1 platform. Obviously the east lower concourse would connect to the south end of the northbound line 1 platform and the west lower concourse would connect to the south end of the southbound line 1 platform. Riders (coming from either street level or the line 5 platform) just have to make sure they take the correct escalator to access the appropriate lower concourse level for the particular direction they want to travel on line 1.

It's also a beautiful and classical piece of Canadian modernism. We don't have many Erickson's so why would we tear what we do have down? Especially when this is only 40 years old?

Back