Toronto Crosstown LRT: Caledonia Station | 11.72m | 2s | Metrolinx | McCallum Sather

Taken today April 16th, Sunday
20230416_141056.jpg
20230416_141052.jpg

April 14
More up on my site for this day shots as well this year

Traffic lights and crossing have been moved to the new location. Both TTC buses and cars are being caught between the lights going east that there needs to be traffic light at the crosswalk going east. Cars coming off the side street going west are getting caught at the driveway exit that divers are hitting the horn that are behind the vehicle who stop for the red light. I figured this was going to happen when I saw the layout over a year ago.

Any bus going east that has to use the bus terminal will be fighting with westbound traffic to get into the loop.

Still a lot exterior work to be done as well cleaning the area up.
52835420412_f9c068efc8_b.jpg

52835994951_7f65eae0a2_b.jpg

52836443603_73b0571589_b.jpg

52835420327_7afe5b49a5_b.jpg

52836400170_201cf72325_b.jpg

52835994801_1247533016_b.jpg

52836443378_4471bc3a72_b.jpg

52835994626_ca950a6cd9_b.jpg

52836414250_53212fa614_b.jpg

Well the June 2023 board reports mention this station:

"Caledonia GO Station will be a brand-new station on the Barrie line that will provide a seamless connection for travellers moving between GO rail, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and TTC buses. The new station will include a platform for 12-car trains, heated platform shelters, bicycle parking for more than 30 bikes, and an accessible pedestrian connection to Carnarvan Street. As part of construction early works, geotechnical investigations (bore hole drilling) for the future station site commenced in January. The station is currently in detailed design, with procurement for its construction anticipated for later in 2023."

I don't really know what to think of the fact that with so much design already done on this station they are still designing and planning on going again to procurement. I just don't get it.

Well the June 2023 board reports mention this station:

"Caledonia GO Station will be a brand-new station on the Barrie line that will provide a seamless connection for travellers moving between GO rail, the Eglinton Crosstown LRT and TTC buses. The new station will include a platform for 12-car trains, heated platform shelters, bicycle parking for more than 30 bikes, and an accessible pedestrian connection to Carnarvan Street. As part of construction early works, geotechnical investigations (bore hole drilling) for the future station site commenced in January. The station is currently in detailed design, with procurement for its construction anticipated for later in 2023."

I don't really know what to think of the fact that with so much design already done on this station they are still designing and planning on going again to procurement. I just don't get it.
And I don't know how they can use the word "seamless" without imperilling their eventual journeys across the River Styx. Forcing transit riders to go all the way to the surface from either line, then down again to whichever service one is transferring, instead of having provided a space in the Crosstown station from which to make direct platform connections to the GO station, is idiotic in the extreme, and naturally for Toronto transit planning, par for the course. Transit riders will have an inconvenient transfer here for time immemorial thanks to this clueless shortsightedness.

f3981c3f-794a-4d41-9981-138f8aae84d3.png

Eglinton Crosstown LRT​

Construction Notice
5692fa05-39ce-4499-beba-e6034a51172c.png

Sidewalk Restoration Works at Caledonia Station​

Monday, July 24, 2023​

fcd3f470-23dc-9d8c-421c-d18f5b9245bc.png
What Work is Taking Place?
As early as Monday, July 24, 2023, crews will be performing sidewalk restoration works at Caledonia Station. To facilitate this work, eastbound traffic on Eglinton Avenue West will be reduced to one through lane and one left turn lane at Caledonia Road. In addition, the northbound left turn from Caledonia Road onto Eglinton Avenue West will be restricted. Pedestrians will be safely rerouted around the work zone. Detours will be clearly marked with signage to direct pedestrians to the alternate routes. One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained at all times. This work is expected to take place on Monday – Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., for approximately two (2) weeks. Upon completion of this work, short term lane reductions may be required to facilitate special activities.

What to Expect
Noise from construction activity, including trucks and use of heavy equipment can be expected. Construction vehicles and trucks will stage within work zones and traffic tapers. Traffic barrels, fencing, and signage will be in place to delineate work zones. Access to businesses, properties, and TTC will be maintained at all times. Expect delays while travelling through the area. The sidewalk will reopen upon completion of the work.

HOURS OF WORK
• As early as Monday, July 24, 2023, for approximately two (2) weeks.
• This work is expected to take place Monday - Friday between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
• This work may be rescheduled due to inclement weather and/or unforeseen circumstances.
• This work may be longer or shorter than expected.

TRAFFIC DETAILS
• Eastbound traffic on Eglinton Avenue West will be reduced to one through lane and one left turn lane at Caledonia Road.
• The northbound left turn from Caledonia Road onto Eglinton Avenue West will be restricted.
• One lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained at all times.

PEDESTRIAN DETAILS
• Pedestrians will be safely rerouted around the work zone. Detours will be clearly marked with signage to direct pedestrians to the alternate routes.
• All crosswalks at the Eglinton Avenue West and Caledonia Road intersection will be maintained.

TRANSIT INFORMATION
• Access to TTC will be maintained at all times.
• Please visit www.ttc.ca for more information.

Ahh there's the Metrolinx we all know and love. Designing bareboned, non-sense stations within Toronto like they always do while finding ways to take ions just to build a simple station.

I have no idea why reduced the thing to just one platform and track, but this is extremely shortsighted of them.
order of procurement - i.e. metrolinx bureaucracy.

The second track (and platform) is likely a part of the scope for ONxpress through the primary GO expansion contract. This part is to be tendered traditionally as a separate project in advance of ONxpress work.

The kiss and ride is unnecessary in this location imo - I'd be building a modest residential tower on that corner with an integrated GO entrance!
Unless the GO's kiss-n-ride can be used as a TTC kiss-n-ride at the same time. Would there be traffic signals at the kiss-n-ride exit?

At least there will be traffic signals at the TTC bus exit, unlike Dundas West, Broadview, Bathurst, and other existing subway stations.

Back