Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

^The stations are indeed the more time consuming part of a bored line, but I am hopeful that overall the Eglinton West section will be simpler than the central Crosstown…. no tricky excavations around existing buildings, no heritage structures to conserve, no mined segments to my knowledge. Just big, deep holes that have to be dug and then filled in again.

- Paul

^The stations are indeed the more time consuming part of a bored line, but I am hopeful that overall the Eglinton West section will be simpler than the central Crosstown…. no tricky excavations around existing buildings, no heritage structures to conserve, no mined segments to my knowledge. Just big, deep holes that have to be dug and then filled in again.

- Paul
There is a natural gas pipeline, which prevents putting pedestrian tunnel entrances on the south side of Eglinton Avenue West.

After ECLRT opens @ Mt. Dennis, TTC could operate a 932 service between Mt. Dennis and Renforth only stopping at future LRT station locations. To provide a faster link between northern Mississauga and North York and to establish travel patterns for the EWLRT.
A 932 would be useless if it operates the same route as the 32. Spacing is always 500m apart unlike most bus routes which is 300m. You save like 2-3 minutes which is better off used for service improvements

Which is why we should've invested in high capacity technologies from the start.
Yep, I think once the line opens it will become clear that mixing a street median tram with a tunneled subway was a mistake on the same level (probably worse) as the Sheppard stub. I cannot comprehend why they didn't elevate the line east of the Science Center

Yep, I think once the line opens it will become clear that mixing a street median tram with a tunneled subway was a mistake on the same level (probably worse) as the Sheppard stub. I cannot comprehend why they didn't elevate the line east of the Science Center
Honestly, the Sheppard stub and Eglinton Crosstown should swap technologies.

We're in the new era of transit planning stupidity in Ontario: where we have to use new technology for each new line we construct. Which is part of the reason construction costs are so bloated out of the water here compared to other places.

But hey, at least we're finally building stuff. No matter how ill-conceived the planning is we're making some kind of progress.

Boston's Green Line (LRT, was streetcar) carries a daily ridership 137,700. The line length is 26.7 miles (43.0 km).

1024px-MBTA_Green_Line.svg.png

From link.

1280px-Longwood_MBTA_station%2C_Brookline_MA.jpg
1280px-MBTA_Green_Line_3900_at_Cleveland_Circle_station%2C_February_2023.jpg
1280px-MBTA_3275_leaving_Riverside_Terminal%2C_September_1965.jpg
1280px-Type_9_on_Reservoir_yard_leads%2C_March_2022.JPG
1280px-Inbound_train_at_Kenmore_station%2C_July_2019.JPG
Inbound_train_at_Tappan_Street%2C_June_2014.JPG

1280px-MBTA_Green_Line_3634_at_Newton_Highlands_station.jpg

Toronto's Line 5 from Mt. Dennis Station to Kennedy Station is 19 km (12 mi). The extension will run 9.2 kilometres (5.7 mi) from Mt. Dennis Station to Renforth Station. The airport extension is still in the planning phase.

Last edited:
Of course, ridership will go up after the line opens. But how does that relate to Boston's LRT photos, map and traffic numbers?
A page ago people were discussing ridership for the Crossstown and the fact that is an LRT instead of a subway. W. K. Lis's post touches on that and adds pictures and refs on top. I think it is relevant.
I dont always feel the same for some other posts, but this one does not warrant the snark.

A page ago people were discussing ridership for the Crossstown and the fact that is an LRT instead of a subway. W. K. Lis's post touches on that and adds pictures and refs on top. I think it is relevant.
I dont always feel the same for some other posts, but this one does not warrant the snark.
In that case, it makes sense to quote a previous post or give a reference. Someone may have read the last page a day before and they might be following more than a hundred threads. It's good to share context so that people can relate.

Back