Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Somewhere, they have paper napkins with this for near Mt. Dennis (where the No Frills is now)...
Screen-Shot-2021-08-19-at-3.38.02-PM-900x562.png
```

Sprawling 7 Tower Transit-Oriented Development Proposed at Mount Dennis

See link.

And between Royal York (whatever name it will be) Station and Scarlett Road Station...

Notting Hill Condominiums: proposed 25, 25, 25 and 21-storey mixed-use condominium buildings

See link.

20360-124673.jpg
Well remember this is today, we're talking about a line planned back in the 90s, and would've opened 21 years ago. Now granted, it is possible we could've TODed this way back when (actually this is what they wanted to do), but it doesn't change the fact that it's status as a subway to nowhere would've made it a political nightmare to extend, at least for the first good chunk of it's lifespan.

Now granted, it is possible we could've TODed this way back when (actually this is what they wanted to do), but it doesn't change the fact that it's status as a subway to nowhere would've made it a political nightmare to extend, at least for the first good chunk of it's lifespan.
OTOH the Airport is a major target, both in actual demand and political terms. I'd argue there's a decent chance we'd have seen Eglinton extensions rather than UPX...

OTOH the Airport is a major target, both in actual demand and political terms. I'd argue there's a decent chance we'd have seen Eglinton extensions rather than UPX...
First to Yonge, then to Pearson (in place of UPX) I agree. Which would be a pretty mediocre development IMO instead of having a connection to Don Mills and Kennedy. Maybe by 2030 we'd have a full Crosstown line... 11.25km of tunneling from Yonge to Kennedy is no joke! Wonder how many stations the line would have🤔

The thing is, no eastern extension was EVER planned, not even as a potential Phase 3/4 (well, I think there was one planned in the 60s/70s, but this iteration did not). Actually, the biggest problem with this plan was the fact that bridging the gap between the U was not even considered in any plan.
At that time, this is true but I think by the mid 90s they will realize they need to bridge the U and probably proceeded with it around the time TYSSE is being built.

There would be other problems such as a new subway yard is needed as whatever in the Kodak land might get developed into something else since the subway would have completed by early 2000s. A line from Ranforth to Don Mills will definitely need a new yard. If trains are kept at Wilson before they can get a yard, the rolling stick would probably be TRs.

Extension to airport has funding allocated in the new mini budget.
Just the design for same. Actual construction funding likely forthcoming.

I wonder what the PCs will be funding after Line 5 West to Pearson and Sheppard East to McCowan. Maybe Line 4 to Sheppard West and HuLRT to Brampton GO and some BRTs.

I wonder what the PCs will be funding after Line 5 West to Pearson and Sheppard East to McCowan. Maybe Line 4 to Sheppard West and HuLRT to Brampton GO and some BRTs.
Ontario Line extension to Finch (Seneca College) will be the next one without a doubt. I am sure 2026 he will be releasing a new transit plan of his for his elections platform. By then all of his projects including Line 5 West to Pearson and Sheppard East to McCowan will be under construction.

Can't even imagine me writing that 5 years ago that Ford could pull off a complete retransformation of the transit network in his term of office.

More like a specification ML came up with that would reduce the cost of construction of stations, tunnels and elevated structures. It’s just designing around physics.
So Electric powered rail vehicles with automated train control which are not as wide and not as heavy.... perhaps a light rail vehicle.

Sheppard West, Line 2 to Sherway, and Ontario Line to Sheppard / Finch are the low hanging fruit, especially from a PC government which loves subways.

Further out you may see projects like Milton AD2W GO service, Hurontario LRT to Brampton, GO RER expansion to Hamilton, etc.

Really the Waterfront East LRT desperately needs funding as well, but Ford is well known for an aversion to streetcars so who knows if that will happen. Even if that manages to pull funding, I highly doubt Ford will back Waterfront West or Eglinton East.

Sheppard West, Line 2 to Sherway, and Ontario Line to Sheppard / Finch are the low hanging fruit, especially from a PC government which loves subways.

Further out you may see projects like Milton AD2W GO service, Hurontario LRT to Brampton, GO RER expansion to Hamilton, etc.

Really the Waterfront East LRT desperately needs funding as well, but Ford is well known for an aversion to streetcars so who knows if that will happen. Even if that manages to pull funding, I highly doubt Ford will back Waterfront West or Eglinton East.
I don't think Sherway will ever get a subway. You'd have to make it underground and it only made sense in the context of a subway to Mississauga which for some reason they preferred a shitty bus highway serving nobody that's basically closes at 11pm.

I don't think Sherway will ever get a subway. You'd have to make it underground and it only made sense in the context of a subway to Mississauga which for some reason they preferred a shitty bus highway serving nobody that's basically closes at 11pm.
Why? The area between Kipling Station and Sherway Gardens is mostly industrial and commercial. It would likely continue on the surface to follow the railroad west of Kipling Station to at least Highway 427. Unless someone would be upset that a few big box stores maybe bulldozed. A few underpasses or bridges, but mostly surface running.

From link.
1668612606048.png

The Queensway east of Kipling Avenue is slowing adding condo buildings, making it perfect for a 501 streetcar right-of-way extension to serve the new residents.

Don't forget about the Sherway Gardens redevelopment. See link. Many of those big box stores in the area could be redeveloped into higher density mixed-use developments.
sherway-gardens-redevelopment-01.jpg

Back