Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

We have the tracking map available now! Albeit it's only updated once a week, on Fridays. Link here

As of today, this is where the 2 TBMs are located.

View attachment 430959

Additionally, the headwalls at Martin Grove are fully completed and the piling rig has been dismantled.

Kipling station headwalls are still ongoing. The western headwall is completed and the piling rig is now working on the eastern headwall.

Any bets that the tunnels will be dug before the first Crosstown phase opens?

Any bets that the tunnels will be dug before the first Crosstown phase opens?

According to Metrolinx, the tunneling work is supposed to take 20 months total at an average of 10-15 metres a day. Tunneling started in April 2022, so we're looking at at least December 2023.

So, very close to when the Crosstown is expected to open.

According to Metrolinx, the tunneling work is supposed to take 20 months total at an average of 10-15 metres a day. Tunneling started in April 2022, so we're looking at at least December 2023.

So, very close to when the Crosstown is expected to open.

JC I was joking.... but it might actually be true.

Apparently the project is running 4-6 weeks ahead of schedule. Ford mentioned it in the Q and A. I can provide a time-marked link later.

That doesn't translate to anything unless they can get the real excavation part ahead of schedule. They can just finish up and have a bigger time gap before the next consortium moves in.

Inching ever closer to Martin Grove!

Screenshot_20221023-222352.png

Inching ever closer to Martin Grove!

View attachment 434302
I am following this closely, I was up at Martingrove last week scouting for a video but there is nothing going on really. I spoke with a worker who was installing pretty cool settlement sensing equipment as the soil changes from bedrock under the highway to a more shale style subsurface. I heard that the tunnel is about 25m deep but can't confirm that. Would be nice actually to be given a z value next to the name on the tracker! It was also suggested that they won't dig down from the station site until the bores have passed. It looks ready to go though. Secondly, there are a lot of works going on around that site as I did not know they renovating a large underground reservoir below the park north west of Martin Grove and Eglinton. At Kipling they are simply moving and updating utilities right now I guess. Maybe some pre-shoring work.

No. Scarborough has density. You're mistaken Scarborough for Vaughn.

Yes, but the Scarborough Subway had an existing right-of-way to use, the RT right-of-way. The only difference is the position of Lawrence Station. (Is that alone worth billions?) You would still have to figure out a way to Sheppard Ave, but going that far north was not part of the RT in the first place. A tunnel may be required.

I am following this closely, I was up at Martingrove last week scouting for a video but there is nothing going on really. I spoke with a worker who was installing pretty cool settlement sensing equipment as the soil changes from bedrock under the highway to a more shale style subsurface. I heard that the tunnel is about 25m deep but can't confirm that. Would be nice actually to be given a z value next to the name on the tracker! It was also suggested that they won't dig down from the station site until the bores have passed. It looks ready to go though. Secondly, there are a lot of works going on around that site as I did not know they renovating a large underground reservoir below the park north west of Martin Grove and Eglinton. At Kipling they are simply moving and updating utilities right now I guess. Maybe some pre-shoring work.

Yes, unfortunately, there's not much activities to see above ground once the station headwalls are built. The TBMs will then bore through the station headwalls and continue onwards. Once that's done, the work will start again to dig down between the 2 headwalls and build the platform first, followed by the concourse, and finally the entrance building and emergency exit building.

For reference, here is the typical underground station design:
1666747617599.png

It does indeed look like the tunnels will be 25 metres below the surface, meaning a fairly long decent to the concourse level. Also, the following is from the Environmental Assessment Design Plates from May 2020 and it seems to line up on average with the 25 metre below surface information:
1666748043658.png

At Kipling, they are definitely drilling the headwalls for the station. They had closed the 2 southern most lanes of Eglinton Ave W to drill the headwalls for the eastbound tunnel. It looks like they have completed that and have now closed the middle 2 lanes of Eglinton in order to drill the headwalls for the westbound tunnel.

Final station layout for Kipling requires Eglinton Ave W to be shifted 3 metres to the south to reduce the amount of trees that would need to be cut down on the north-west corner of the intersection. Kipling is also the only underground station where the tunnels are actually entirely beneath the roadway. All other underground stations are on one corner of the intersection.
1666748414111.png

Last note for any enthusiasts for this project, there's another open house scheduled for November 2nd. This time it's going to be virtual, not sure why they switched back. They had their last update in person, if I'm not mistaken.

1666748590626.png

Back