Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

From the news release, at this link:
  • The Eglinton Crosstown West Extension will cost $4.7 billion and will be delivered before 2031.
From this link, Attachment 5 - Eglinton West LRT:

You'll notice that Option 2 is listed as $4.0B. That's this:

Still think between Weston (Mt. Dennis) and Royal York, the line should be elevated OVER the Humber River. Similiar to Option 4 at $3.0B.

But Doug Ford may see the plebs in the light rail vehicles as they pass him in his SUV in option 4, so he wants NOT to see them, so option 2 he wants, option 2 he gets.

Found this paragraph in the news release:

"Our government is investing in transportation to bring relief and new opportunities to transit users and commuters," said Ford. "We announced the new Ontario Line to deal with the dangerous congestion on Line 1, the Yonge North Subway Extension that will connect the subway to one of the region's largest employment centres, the three-stop Scarborough Subway Extension to better serve communities, and the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension — a large portion of which will be built underground to keep people and goods moving on our roadways. This is our plan, our priority."

Which could mean a "small portion of which will be built above ground". So option 4 could happen, but with added bells and whistles to put the price tag up from $3.0 B to $4.0 B.

According to an article in the Toronto Star:

"The Eglinton West LRT ($4.7 billion)
What Ford announced: A replacement for the city’s plan to extend the already under construction Eglinton Crosstown. The province’s plan would bury more of the extension and continue it west to Pearson International Airport, costing $4.7 billion. Under the province’s plan, the Eglinton West LRT will run underground between Royal York and Martin Grove Rds. and will be completed before 2031."

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ul-compares-with-torontos-existing-plans.html

this looks like option 4

What Ford announced: A replacement for the city’s plan to extend the already under construction Eglinton Crosstown. The province’s plan would bury more of the extension and continue it west to Pearson International Airport, costing $4.7 billion. Under the province’s plan, the Eglinton West LRT will run underground between Royal York and Martin Grove Rds. and will be completed before 2031."

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...ul-compares-with-torontos-existing-plans.html

this looks like option 4

Must make the underground stations near Doug's home look as grand like the earlier Moscow Metro stations as much as possible, or else. With his name embossed somewhere in the station, of course.

moscow_metro_hdr.jpg

From link.

this looks like option 4

It's Option 4 watered down with some common sense. There is absolutely no justification for anything other than a surface alignment east of Royal York.

Option 4 was overbuilt, no doubt in hopes it would be rejected as too expensive, leaving Option 1 as the only available preferred option.

- Paul

It's Option 4 watered down with some common sense. There is absolutely no justification for anything other than a surface alignment east of Royal York.

Option 4 was overbuilt, no doubt in hopes it would be rejected as too expensive, leaving Option 1 as the only available preferred option.

- Paul
I'm surprised Ford didn't rename it to the Etobicoke Subway!

Under the province’s plan, the Eglinton West LRT will run underground between Royal York and Martin Grove Rds. and will be completed before 2031."

this looks like option 4
It's Option 4 watered down with some common sense.

I cant believe its 4.7 billion though. It would be cheaper with less underground. I imagine its this. A combination of 4, 2 and 1. Underground between Royal York and Martin Grove, but with all the stations of Option 3. Above ground/Elevated elsewhere.

Or else they are getting a bad deal for 4.7 Bill.

Attachments

• OPtion 5.png
    OPtion 5.png
    256.1 KB · Views: 428
I cant believe its 4.7 billion though. It would be cheaper with less underground. I imagine its this. A combination of 4, 2 and 1. Underground between Royal York and Martin Grove, but with all the stations of Option 3. Above ground/Elevated elsewhere.

View attachment 181047

Or else they are getting a bad deal for 4.7 Bill.

Either way, putting this line underground to this extent is such an unnecessary waste of money. And somehow Toronto is supposed to contribute funding to the province's fetish for underground transit, even though the city will have little say on the design and was not its preferred option. Given all the other priorities in Scarborough and downtown vs lack of funding, this project is most likely going nowhere.

Performing full grade separation isn't a waste of money - it essentially doubles ridership and significantly improves travel times (9 minutes faster from Renforth to Mount Dennis).

Toronto's commute times are already ridiculous - we need solutions that are actually fast and time competitive to driving. The surface LRT would have taken 25 minute from Renforth to Mount Dennis - that is not fast in any way and will never produce reasonable commute times. By grade separating the line it can become a "trunk" line that people will actually bother to transfer to from intersecting bus lines, instead of primarily servicing local walk on customers only.

I hate to say it as I despise the man himself, but Ford's transit plan isn't too bad, minus the Sheppard subway. They have to add the Waterfront LRT, and I'd argue it's a great plan. I'm a little doubtful of the aggressive timelines.. but The new DRL is a huge improvement over the old one, as is this line.

Remember as well that council was increasingly pushing for grade separated here. They requested further study and city staff basically spit back at them with these ridiculous schemes that just bury everything and claim "look it's too expensive!". Council was really interested in full grade separation and staff tailored their study purposefully to make those options look as bad as possible instead of realistically looking how they can cost effectively achieve that.

Back