Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Option 4 really is the "best" if you ask me - hopefully rational heads prevail.
my preference is option 4 truthfully but i would actually use this line tomorrow if it was constructed... so if option one gets shovels in the ground faster then i am ok with that...

my preference is option 4 truthfully but i would actually use this line tomorrow if it was constructed... so if option one gets shovels in the ground faster then i am ok with that...
Typically option 1 would take 2.5-3 years, option 2-4 would take 4-10 years. With option 4, if ML goes with the route as the Crosstown with tunneling with TBM/major utilities relocation first and then build the stations, we won't see this built till 2030.

Last edited:
Typically option 1 would take 2.5-3 years, option 2 would take 4-10 years. With option 4, if ML goes with the route as the Crosstown with tunneling with TBM/major utilities relocation first and then build the stations, we won't see this built till 2030.
which is why i like option one... when i was young i thought my first car was going to be a ferrari.. if i waited for that dream to come true i would have had to wait 25 years for my first car... instead i had a corolla and enjoyed life.

Typically option 1 would take 2.5-3 years, option 2 would take 4-10 years. With option 4, if ML goes with the route as the Crosstown with tunneling with TBM/major utilities relocation first and then build the stations, we won't see this built till 2030.

I would hope that with a nearly-intact ROW and the theoretical ability to cut and cover, that it would shorten the construction timeline somewhat.

Another option that doesn't seem to really be discussed here is trenching. I think Ottawa's Scott St Transitway trench (now partially being converted to LRT) could be a good model to use. It avoids the visual impact of elevated, yet also avoids the expense of tunnelling.

If select portions of the corridor wished to be preserved for park land, it would be relatively easy to deck them over. Alternatively, you could leave it open and sell the air rights above it, and have developers do the decking for you. The trench wouldn't be so wide as to preclude building over top of it with sufficient supports on either side.

Option 4 looks like a go, based on the anti-visible transit bias of Premier Ford (must not see the folks as they pass him in his SUV). If Premier Ford was not bullying, it should be option 1.
i wouldnt have a problem with that if the city promised to put up some funds so this wouldnt be on hold forever... This thing is done being planned... why cant the feds or province fund this while they wait for all the other projects designs to be complete.

Heres what Option 4 SHOULD look like

I have not been provided a single reason why the portion under the spaghetti interchange between the 427 and 401 etc needs to be tunneled. It should be at-grade, beside Eglinton Ave. There are no lights or traffic disruptions for this area. I am sure the cost would go down significantly of option 4 if this part wasn't needlessly tunneled.

i wouldnt have a problem with that if the city promised to put up some funds so this wouldnt be on hold forever... This thing is done being planned... why cant the feds or province fund this while they wait for all the other projects designs to be complete.
Let's see Ford's get transit built faster plan in action. If they just cut and cover the whole thing, 4-5 years is reasonable.
Heres what Option 4 SHOULD look like
View attachment 179683

I have not been provided a single reason why the portion under the spaghetti interchange between the 427 and 401 etc needs to be tunneled. It should be at-grade, beside Eglinton Ave. There are no lights or traffic disruptions for this area. I am sure the cost would go down significantly of option 4 if this part wasn't needlessly tunneled.
I think the portal should be closer to Royal York. Plant World and the future developments there should get used to the LRT being in the middle. That would cut the tunneling portion downto 5km.

A few weeks ago, I went through all the details of the complications related to putting the LRT at-grade beside Eglinton in the 427 area.

Tunnel advocates will use anything justify tunnels. Think about the pedestrian safety concerns about accessing transit in the middle of a road. What about the cars which will surely run Into the transit vehicle causing all sorts of delays. It might rain outside and the lrt wipers might malfunction causing a head on collision.

Tunnel advocates will use anything justify tunnels. Think about the pedestrian safety concerns about accessing transit in the middle of a road. What about the cars which will surely run Into the transit vehicle causing all sorts of delays. It might rain outside and the lrt wipers might malfunction causing a head on collision.

$1.7B - $500M = $1.2B. Lets put $600M into government bonds (~$3%) and save $600M. With that government bond interest, or $9M/year (half is reinvested) we can hire 45 full time police officers for the entire lifespan of the Eglinton West LRT to ensure delays and pedestrian safety issues do not occur.

Optionally, we might hire 2 full-time officers, which is likely sufficient, and put $1.1B into another project like Scarborough East LRT or the Waterfront LRT.

If I thought Ford was clever, I'd speculate that sucking up all federal and city funding into subways was designed to kill the Waterfront LRT.

im so confused... a conservative mayor thinks that surface LRT would work on Eglinton West? You mean building underground and in the air might not be financially prudent? I dont know what to think anymore...

Despite being a PC party member, John Tory is more like a right-leaning centrist when he is wearing the Mayor of Toronto's hat.

If he actually was a conservative mayor, the city council would be a war zone, pretty much like during the days of late Rob Ford.

Back