Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Oh great, so let's turn another $1 billion project into a $6 billion project.

"... the province proposed that a significant portion of this extension be subterranean".

I propose a significant portion of Doug Ford's head is stuck up his imagination.

This is his riding ... and he's wasting taxpayer money here. It's exactly that kind of corruption that we all expect out of the Fords! In reality, I suspect that this simply ends this project.

I guess he doesn't care to wastebasket the money, regardless on the ward or riding.

That line about the EWLRT being underground makes me want to vomit.

Yeah, it's mostly a bad idea, as someone else has mentioned, except at Islington, Kipling and Martin Grove intercestions, where it would be needed the most to help fend off the LRVs from traffic, but everywhere else, I don't see a point

And the pcs lied about the cost escalations of these projects. But in that case lying was okbfor you because you agreed with the agenda. It’s not a pc or liberal thing. It’s completely a political thing. Politicians lie about transit on both sides. Stop making it out like your side is morally superior.

All politicians can lie about transit, I agree. Even the Libs sort of did, in a way...

At the FINCH STATION on Line 1, they make use of the hydro corridor for parking.

From link.

At the proposed MARTIN GROVE STATION on the Eglinton West LRT extension, there is another hydro corridor.

From link.

I can see that hydro corridor becoming a parking facility. How much of it, we'll see.

At the FINCH STATION on Line 1, they make use of the hydro corridor for parking.

View attachment 179326
From link.

At the proposed MARTIN GROVE STATION on the Eglinton West LRT extension, there is another hydro corridor.

View attachment 179327
From link.

I can see that hydro corridor becoming a parking facility. How much of it, we'll see.
Unless the extension is built and marketed as a subway, I doubt much parking will be built nor lots of people drive to park and take transit. On the other hand, Mount Dennis should really have more parking.

Unless the extension is built and marketed as a subway, I doubt much parking will be built nor lots of people drive to park and take transit. On the other hand, Mount Dennis should really have more parking.

If any part of the Eg West LRT extension will be built underground, this is it. The Martin Grove Stn has to be grade separated.

And one would assume the entirety of Line 5 will be marketed as a "subway" as far as system maps go.

If Edmonton, Calgary, and I'm assuming Ottawa LRTs have park-n-rides at their stations, why not the Eglinton LRT extensions?

centurypark128.jpg

From link. Cars and trucks fill the park and ride at the Century Park Transit Station in Edmonton.

20568648632_3ca617f75f_z.jpg

From link.

Currently, free and paid park and ride is available at Clareview, Belvedere, Stadium, and Century Park. Paid parking was introduced in January 2011 and was intended to help offset the maintenance costs of the lots, estimated at $799,000 per year (total). It has proven to be quite popular with waiting lists in place at all four stations – 410 people for Clareview, 220 people for Belvedere, 149 people for Stadium, and a whopping 3,540 people for Century Park.

Unless the RENFORTH Station will be the place for the 905ers to go to by public transit.

Last edited:
If all you wanted to do was get to younger and eglinton from mississauga or Brampton then this would make a ton of sense

If Edmonton, Calgary, and I'm assuming Ottawa LRTs have park-n-rides at their stations, why not the Eglinton LRT extensions?

centurypark128.jpg

From link. Cars and trucks fill the park and ride at the Century Park Transit Station in Edmonton.

20568648632_3ca617f75f_z.jpg

From link.

Unless the RENFORTH Station will be the place for the 905ers to go to by public transit.
But Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa LRT all go directly downtown.
This LRT does not, so imagine people would rather drive to the B-D line or YUS line.

I thought not everyone was going downtown. Most trips. But not everyone. Which is why we were trying to make a network. For instance in Scarborough something like 60% of all trips are within Scarborough. Yet were spending all our money serving the minority.

But Edmonton, Calgary, and Ottawa LRT all go directly downtown.
This LRT does not, so imagine people would rather drive to the B-D line or YUS line.
That's an illogical argument. There's parking along line 3, from which you have to transfer to line 2 and eventually line 1 if you want to go to central downtown. There's parking along line 4, and you'll have to transfer to line 1 to get downtown. There's no other reasonable location near Eglinton to park and ride. Why drive south to Kipling (only to find the lot is full) or north to Yorkdale only to drive more and pay more?

im so confused... a conservative mayor thinks that surface LRT would work on Eglinton West? You mean building underground and in the air might not be financially prudent? I dont know what to think anymore...

Back