Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Except a good councilor would get the information and educate their constituents of the merits of going elevated instead of simply saying "I tried to do something, but was turned down. Not my fault!" Reactive rather than proactive.
I’m sympathetic to this perspective, but note that some people will never be convinced that their position is indefensible.

Didn't get to snap pics, but there's already construction activity happening along this extension. Just west of Scarlett, the centre traffic median has been demolished, and protective fencing has been installed around many trees along the south side of Eglinton. Several construction vehicles were also visible. The woodlot at the north-west corner of Kipling has also been fenced off.

Didn't get to snap pics, but there's already construction activity happening along this extension. Just west of Scarlett, the centre traffic median has been demolished, and protective fencing has been installed around many trees along the south side of Eglinton. Several construction vehicles were also visible. The woodlot at the north-west corner of Kipling has also been fenced off.
Happy to see work starting at Scarlett, so we can hopefully kill any bad ideas about continuing to tunnel east.

The extension has been under construction for a while. They are doing pile driving for the station headwalls at all the future subway station sites right now in advance of the TBMs.

Eglinton Crosstown Construction is wrapping up just in time for construction to start on this part of Eglinton!

D706F498-ACFC-4B5D-8AE4-6ED6F3214DCF.jpeg

I drove through Eglinton today and had a few observations. No images unfortunately.
  • The crane and heavy machinery are understandably still present at the launch shaft.
  • They seem to have set up cameras above the tunnel location along Eglinton. Not sure if it's related to the boring happening underground. Maybe to make sure they're not inadvertently causing any disturbance on the surface?
  • The north-east corner of Martin Grove and Eglinton is fully taken over and piling activities are ongoing to create the station headwalls.
  • The trees on the north and south sides of Eglinton are cordoned off at Kipling. The road is supposed to be moved 3 metres south to accommodate the station without affecting the norther woodlot by too much. As it currently stands, though, the cordoned area makes it look like they won't touch the woodlot at all on the north side, but in their presentation, Metrolinx stated that 15% of the woodlot would be affected.
  • I would presume Eglinton would be moved first before any piling activities can begin for the station headwalls at Kipling.
  • Nothing of note is being done at Islington or Royal York Avenues.
If I get a chance to go further east, I will update the situation at Scarlett and Jane areas.

I don't have much sympathy for the tunnelling faction - but - ML is not helping themselves. That park is very crowded on weekends with little league soccer and rugby, to the point where parking is pretty much impossible as it is.

ML needs to put out a plan showing that the use of the park will not be encumbered during construction - or, if it will be, coming clean about the extent of that reduction in capacity. If the open space is neeeded for laydown, explain that well. Explain what is being done to assist the public who will face a real loss of amenities during construction.

I have difficulty believing that any permanent harm will be done to the natural environment, but again this can be explained better.

Pretty ironic that the bats are endangered species but the new MPP is doing just fine.

- Paul

Back