Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

As cynical as we all might feel about this, I am a big fan of the fact that a conservative politician is touting transit investment as much as Ford does. That is big progress over the Harris era. Hopefully this means we will have more consistent transit funding whenever the governing party changes. Not to say we should not advocate for more sensible investment, I just think we take it for granted that this government is relatively pro-transit.
I totally agree with you. Need to look at the cup half full approach.

MX blog article

With Doug Ford's actual educational background, he might just be qualified for that labouring job. However, his attendance record may disqualify him.
Doug Ford also cannot use a computer because he is an out of touch idiot. Never forget.

However, it is clear that the PC's decided they wanted a shot at re-election and thus we ended up with a moderately pro-transit party. I can't stand the PC's for their destructive attitude towards anything that came from a previous government, but at least we're getting Line 5 west and Line 6 avoided PC cancellation by the skin of its teeth.
For that, I am grateful. Now bring on the connection to Pearson.

Join us LIVE on Wednesday, April 27 from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM to learn more about what we are planning for the elevated stations at Scarlett and Jane. After an update on elevated stations, we will also share the results of the survey on the elevated section. Representatives from Metrolinx project team will give a presentation on these topics and answer your questions. We encourage you to submit and vote on questions now. You may also submit questions during the meeting.

Ask questions...

See link.

Tell us what you think about the station design. The questionnaire will close on April 27, 2022. See link.

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but why is there such a significant hold up on GTAA's part? I thought they mostly had their grand "Union Station West" plans figured out and was just waiting for the city to confirm Eglinton and GO connections?

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but why is there such a significant hold up on GTAA's part? I thought they mostly had their grand "Union Station West" plans figured out and was just waiting for the city to confirm Eglinton and GO connections?
Its a funding problem right now. Ever since COVID hit, air traffic significantly went down and all of a sudden GTAA got hit with financial issues. As such the GTAA has to wait for their income to balance out before they can continue with such grand plans.

Agreeing and adding to what @ARG1 stated above, even the preliminary plans that were shared by GTAA were just that, preliminary. Meant to initiate a buzz and see how much investment they might get from public and private parties. All GTAA knows for now is that the Union Station West is going to come up on the parking lots North of the current terminal buildings. Even the initial rendering, there are a lot of issues with the rendering itself, why is there a requirement for the 409 ROW if there is no car access to the current terminal buildings, where is the car access to the passenger terminal building, why is there only one connection between the passenger terminal building and the gates, etc?

1649774734144.png

Here is a view of the site currently:
1649774834322.png

All we know is that it's going to go on the parking lot lands. But the issue is that this is just the ultimate vision rendering. For now, I would expect a small terminal building for the Eglinton West LRT, Finch West LRT and maybe a few buses and/or GO Train, while they wait for investors for the more grandiose portions of the plan. I'm hoping that whatever they decide for the Eglinton West LRT connection to the airport is integrated well into the future design that it can be iterated and built upon to ultimately get it to the grand vision.

The current 900 AIRPORT EXPRESS runs from KIPLING STATION to Pearson Airport.

ttc-900-map-20181118.png
From link.

Unless they decide to construct the Eglinton West LRT extension to Person Airport, and only go to Renforth Station, will they need a separate airport express bus from Renforth Station or will they add a stop at Renforth Station?

Unless they decide to construct the Eglinton West LRT extension to Person Airport, and only go to Renforth Station, will they need a separate airport express bus from Renforth Station or will they add a stop at Renforth Station?

I haven't taken the 900 post covid, but its ridership was always pretty solid. I would expect that it would continue as an express and a new route would connect Renforth to Pearson.

Wonder if that ought to be considered even now, just on the basis of connectivity to the busway. Fare integrated, of course.

- Paul

Agreeing and adding to what @ARG1 stated above, even the preliminary plans that were shared by GTAA were just that, preliminary. Meant to initiate a buzz and see how much investment they might get from public and private parties. All GTAA knows for now is that the Union Station West is going to come up on the parking lots North of the current terminal buildings. Even the initial rendering, there are a lot of issues with the rendering itself, why is there a requirement for the 409 ROW if there is no car access to the current terminal buildings, where is the car access to the passenger terminal building, why is there only one connection between the passenger terminal building and the gates, etc?

View attachment 392208

Here is a view of the site currently:
View attachment 392209

All we know is that it's going to go on the parking lot lands. But the issue is that this is just the ultimate vision rendering. For now, I would expect a small terminal building for the Eglinton West LRT, Finch West LRT and maybe a few buses and/or GO Train, while they wait for investors for the more grandiose portions of the plan. I'm hoping that whatever they decide for the Eglinton West LRT connection to the airport is integrated well into the future design that it can be iterated and built upon to ultimately get it to the grand vision.
It is all going to be moved underground, sort of big dig style if you want to look at it that way. That's why the 409 is still there.

Back