Toronto Crosstown Community | 135.02m | 44s | Aspen Ridge | Sweeny &Co

^I dont know if that would work so well here, but I do agree that townhouse component seems very....off to say the least. It doesn't suit the development well at all.
The design pictured is modular so it can be scaled down as is appropriate.

But in any case, I am concerned that what we will see as the end result here for the townhomes, is something akin to what we have seen in Markham's "downtown". Actually when you rotate the satellite view, you can kinda see a preview of whats to come here, with the change of scale from high-rise to townhomes. See below:

Where those large spaces between townhomes aren't roads, but actually driveways wider than inner-city roads.

Scaffolding is up on the former Celestica entrance. Looks like they are prepping to dismantle it before demolition begins.

They should move the heritage Celestica frontage right to the street and stick all the towers behind it.

There are now 4 Crosstown Community threads: three for development sites, and this one will remain for the site overall. We will continue to create new threads for individual building sites, while I expect that this thread will end up with changes to the public realm, more than anything else.

The other three three threads are:
Crosstown Community: Crosstown One - the initial condo towers to rise out of the Parkin buildings to the west along Eglinton
Crosstown Community: Block 5A - the second condo tower to get an SPA application, further north in the site
Crosstown Community: Block 1 - the 9s office tower at the corner of Don Mills and Eglinton

Don Mills and Eglinton getting new neighbourhood but preserving heritage buildings an issue

10,000 homes planned for new transit hub along Eglinton Crosstown LRT route

Michael Smee · CBC News · Posted: Jan 13, 2020 5:00 AM ET

Some of the buildings on the Celestica site, which covers most of the development's northeast quadrant, have already been designated for preservation.

The former Celestica headquarters, built in the 1950s, for instance, which sits at 844 Don Mills Rd., just north of Eglinton, will be saved. On the Celestica site's western edge, at 1150 Eglinton Ave. E., the brown, blocky buildings on the north side of Eglinton just east of the railroad tracks, will also be partially retained in the new development.

Agreed. I've developed a new fascination of this Don Mills & Eglinton area and the potential it has for the future. This area has often been overlooked from the heritage point of view as it more so signified the beginnings of Toronto's borough based suburbia, or as I call it mid-burbia. The Celestica buildings demonstrate the shift from industrial complexes of the past towards being an early example of a technological campus. Perhaps in a few decades from now future generations will appreciate the preservation of these heritage aspects in the same ways that we today appreciate the Distillery District, warehouses on Spadina/King West, the Carpet Factory in Liberty Village, and the Foundry Lofts in Davenport Village, etc.

or as I call it mid-burbia.
I'd like to see the terms midurban and midurbia come into use to describe former suburban areas that have been transitioning to urban through infill and redevelopment: there are certainly large areas of the city that were once quite suburban but which no longer conform to all the characteristics of suburbia, and the extent of those areas are growing constantly. We need a word to describe them. Take the extra b out of mid-burbia and you have something that sounds reasonable, and not a joke!

Back