Toronto Cowdray Court | 130.25m | 41s | Gemterra | Teeple Architects

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
Lots of opportunity here.

The future connection of Village green will require a bridge or underpass for the CP line, and then further land acquisition by this or another developer and/or the City to reach Sheppard.

That grid-connection will be good for the area.

There is, however, also a need for significant new space along side Highland Creek. Not merely for parks, but for flood-control and to accommodate, ideally anyway, the renaturalization of the creek channel here, which is hopeless ugly and not a positive ecological feature either.

Hopefully all of that will be contemplated.

I find it a tad amusing that the market is deciding for development to occur in many parts of Scarborough, but not the STC with the planned subway stop.

Agincourt looks like a more natural place for Scarborough's downtown. The development of this area would go a long ways towards de facto achieving that.

this area is all designated for high density based off of the old Sheppard Subway plan, as a station was supposed to be located here as a part of the transfer to the Stouffville line. I wonder if Doug Ford end up building it, if a station will actually come to the area.

Gemterra and Teeple:

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.48.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.52.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.53.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.49.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.51.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.51.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 3.51.45 PM.png

Not great; way too monotonous.

Aside from that, the proposal actually reduces natural(ish) and floodplain areas, and while I can't be sure, it may have potential issues around water table.

It also makes a number of assumptions about future transportation infrastructure that simply isn't in place, under construction or even committed to today.

All in all........this is a NO for me.

Aesthetics aside; there is are several issues to iron out.

The transportation study actually discusses TTC Ellesmere station, which to my mind is absurd as no one believes this will be there in 10 years.

Here's what's needed, in my opinion.

1) Block six either has to come out, or be downsized to enlarge the floodplain/natural area.

2)If Block six is retained, then Tier 2 Green Standard must be obtained in terms of green roof, and other measures to reduce storm water.

3) I would also like to see the finished natural heritage plan for the site prior to approval.

3)Parking has to be reduced. In order to achieve this, a substantial number of contemplated
projects must be in the process of delivery. Notably, enhanced transit on Sheppard East, a proper road connection to Sheppard Avenue (with sidewalks and bike lanes) and the SSE issue must have been settled, further to which, improved surface transit on Kennedy must be offered, as the RT alignment will likely not be there anymore.

We've built high density development in the past on future rapid transit that never materialized. You just don't speculate on proposed transit. People will buy. I guess that's all that matters.

Have there been any updates on this? Particularly the road connection to VGS? An improved walking route between VGS and Agincourt GO would put 1000s more people within around 1km of Agincourt GO

Have there been any updates on this? Particularly the road connection to VGS? An improved walking route between VGS and Agincourt GO would put 1000s more people within around 1km of Agincourt GO
If there were updates, it's very likely that someone would have posted them. Little development news gets past members here, many of whom take pride in being the first to be able to post info.

Back