Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Costi House

Project Type: Transitional Housing
Storeys: 14
Suites: 30
GFA: 84,800
Transitional housing for refugees provided by Costi Immigration Services.

costi.JPG

Costi House

Project Type: Transitional Housing
Storeys: 14
Suites: 30
GFA: 84,800
Transitional housing for refugees provided by Costi Immigration Services.

View attachment 596838

An average of 2 units per floor for Transitional Housing? That's interesting math.

Massing looks decent'ish.

Aerial Photo:

1726586515964.png

Streetview: (building to right)

1726586623048.png

* note building to left is the one-storey College/Shaw Library branch. For a good purpose like transitional/affordable housing, it would make much more sense to include the library lands and put a new, larger branch into the podium.

Site size: ~1000m2/ 11,000ft2

This definitely calls for intervention by @HousingNowTO . There is a much better project that can be achieved here.

Add the library site and you're close to 16,000ft2, instead of 30 units you could be adding well over 100 units.

That rear angular plane sculpting needs to go.

If we kept the footprint of the site as it is...........

I think a single setback after the 4th floor makes sense to me.

The secondary setback that creates the ultra-small upper floors does not. Though it does make a visually interesting design, but in a way that would make the upper floor construction costs highly dubious.

* Hey, Hold on.......... why does the description text say 14s, when the image is either 8 or 9? That certainly isn't 14!

The 30 suite number seems to line up w/the massing image above at the shorter height.

14s is what you could achieve on the larger footprint I'm suggesting. (aggressive, but do-able.) But even a larger, more sensibly massed 10-12s could work quite nicely.

Back