Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | a—A

Urban Toronto Horror Story: Balconies
First post here, and sorry if this is off-topic, but is the dislike for balconies on this forum mostly due to the way they look? When I lived in a condo I used mine frequently throughout the warmer months. I understand they are generally an eyesore but I personally think they greatly improve condo life, which to me takes priority.

I suppose there is an argument to be made about a more communal/vibrant park experience if people used them rather than their private balconies, but at least for me, parks serve different purposes than balconies.

I'm not in the industry so I assume there is something I am missing here...perhaps they drive up construction costs or reduce interior space or something? Maybe it's just architects upset that their clients demand a creativity-limiting feature that many residents don't use very often?

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with a strong view on the issue or from anyone who can point me in the direction of a discussion/article on this topic. The best I found was this thread which had a good post on energy consumption and the potential for objects to fall off, but mostly was just people complaining about the way they look.

First post here, and sorry if this is off-topic, but is the dislike for balconies on this forum due to the way they look?

Yes.

This forum seems to harbour some with elitist attitudes towards architecture; that everything that exists must be a distinct work of art; perfect in every aspect.

There are others who are "investors" and believe that looks affect their ROI when they go to resell their pre-construction purchase.

One could argue 'til they're blue in the face about practicalities and realities, but as I've said before, there seem to be a great many here to whom the colour of the spandrel defines the entire worth of a project—leeds certifications, amenities, structural design or walkability score be damned. To many, balconies will always be an eyesore.

Personally speaking, they reflect the human side of structure. They represent and display the lives of the people living within.

I bristle when I see posts stating "architects shouldn't use balconies to create the design of the building." Of course they should. If the balconies don't work to clinch the design, the whole building can be ruined by them.

…but I get that a lot of UTers feel that balconies are often poorly enough handled, that they are always a drag on the design, and generally wish they weren't there to pull designs down. Like some others posting above though, I enjoy my balcony and wouldn't want to be without one in a high-rise (though I doubt I'd want one on a 50th floor suite let alone an 84th floor penthouse — unless the glass guards were at least 2 metres high)…

Anyway, I believe that most people fundamentally need quick access to outdoor space at times, and should be able to slide open a door and step out whenever they want, and filling that need is more important than offending the aesthetic sensibilities of those who don't live in the structure.

From an IG ad by Concord:

Screenshot_20211231-201832_Instagram.jpg

Now that would be a cool/unique addition to the skyline if the outward facing balcony railings facing Dundas Square are lighted like in the above image and they are able to spell out messages for special occasions!

Happy New Year to you too, Concord! May this project be adorned with far better materials, design and love then we're being lead to believe here...

...and Happy New Years to everyone else! May it be a great one for all! /bows

Last edited:
Happy New Year to you too, Concord! May this project be adorned with far better materials, design and love then we're being lead to believe here...

...and Happy New Years to everyone else! May it be a great one for all! /bows
Happy New Year to you and everyone on UT as well. 😃

Back