Toronto Concord Sky | 299m | 85s | Concord Adex | a—A

It's ridiculous how they pander to superstitious people. Surely people who don't want to live on Floor 13 can just go to another floor instead of forcing the rest of us to put up with this nonsense? Just because you call it Floor 14 doesn't mean it is. If you point this out to them are they suddenly going to blame every bad thing that happens to them on the fact they actually live on Floor 13? So stupid.

That said, I hope they re-design this clunker.

It's ridiculous how they pander to superstitious people. Surely people who don't want to live on Floor 13 can just go to another floor instead of forcing the rest of us to put up with this nonsense? Just because you call it Floor 14 doesn't mean it is. If you point this out to them are they suddenly going to blame every bad thing that happens to them on the fact they actually live on Floor 13? So stupid.

That said, I hope they re-design this clunker.
To be fair, many condos (maybe some office towers too?) in Toronto skip the 13th floor, including my building. AFAIK, the Chinese have no superstition against number 13, so skipping the 13th floor is pandering to the superstitious "Westerners". Skipping the 4s is of course a uniquely (at least so far in Toronto) Concord 'trademark' specifically targeted at the Chinese market. Not sure if the Greenland and Ao Yuan projects also skip the 4s.

To be fair, many condos (maybe some office towers too?) in Toronto skip the 13th floor, including my building. AFAIK, the Chinese have no superstition against number 13, so skipping the 13th floor is pandering to the superstitious "Westerners". Skipping the 4s is of course a uniquely (at least so far in Toronto) Concord 'trademark' specifically targeted at the Chinese market. Not sure if the Greenland and Ao Yuan projects also skip the 4s.
To be fair, @isaidso literally didn’t bring race/ethnicity into it at all. They’re just pointing out that skipping floors—regardless of the superstition’s origins—is dumb, and I fully agree. Even if they didn’t skip any numbers, I don’t think they’d have issues selling out a building, just seems very unnecessary.

If they number all the floors with the ACTUAL numbers, floors 4, 14, 24, and so on will have fewer Chinese owners, but the great majority of floor numbers will not contain a 4.

Should not be an issue, unless they are expecting almost all the units in the building to be bought by Chinese.

I have absolute confidence that the new developing team has Toronto's best interests at heart, and will do everything in their power to bring forth the wonderful, iconic tower everyone wants to see. I just hope the windows are strong enough to resist the impact of all the flying pigs that will inevitably smack into them.

To be fair, @isaidso literally didn’t bring race/ethnicity into it at all. They’re just pointing out that skipping floors—regardless of the superstition’s origins—is dumb, and I fully agree. Even if they didn’t skip any numbers, I don’t think they’d have issues selling out a building, just seems very unnecessary.
I assumed the 'they' isaidso was referring to is Concord rather than developers in general, so I was just pointing out that Concord is not the only developer that skips the 13th floor in their buildings. I agree it's dumb, whether it's 13 or numbers ending in 4, but it must be working for them, or else they'd stop doing it.

I assumed the 'they' isaidso was referring to is Concord rather than developers in general, so I was just pointing out that Concord is not the only developer that skips the 13th floor in their buildings. I agree it's dumb, whether it's 13 or numbers ending in 4, but it must be working for them, or else they'd stop doing it.
No way. Concord would never do this just ot maximize profits. I have complete trust in them!

Can someone explain, why if the number 4 is bad, why they're keeping any 40th-levels? The way the Chinese language works, is that 41 is literally translated as four ten one. Aren't the 40th floors just as bad?

Can someone explain, why if the number 4 is bad, why they're keeping any 40th-levels? The way the Chinese language works, is that 41 is literally translated as four ten one. Aren't the 40th floors just as bad?
The number '4' sounds the same as the word 'die' but in a different tone. There's very likely other stories, reasons, or beliefs though.

The number '4' sounds the same as the word 'die' but in a different tone. There's very likely other stories, reasons, or beliefs though.

I understand what it sounds like. But why are there 40-49th floor? Why not take out the entire 40-something-level? Concord can then market it as a 100+ floor building.

This is the main thing. Chinese dialects are incredibly tonal. There's also a lot of superstition embedded in the culture. The number 4 itself sounds like death, but even think in English. 34 is said thirty-four, whereas 40 or 41 are forty and forty-one respectively. For the Chinese theres more than enough tonal difference when counting that the entire set of 40's itself is not bad just the ones ending in 4.

So it's not the number as much as it is the sound. Same reason 8 and in particular 888 is considered incredibly lucky.

This is the main thing. Chinese dialects are incredibly tonal. There's also a lot of superstition embedded in the culture. The number 4 itself sounds like death, but even think in English. 34 is said thirty-four, whereas 40 or 41 are forty and forty-one respectively. For the Chinese theres more than enough tonal difference when counting that the entire set of 40's itself is not bad just the ones ending in 4.

So it's not the number as much as it is the sound. Same reason 8 and in particular 888 is considered incredibly lucky.
I don’t see any of the residential buildings skip “4” in Shanghai. This is just Hongkong style

Possibly specific to Cantonese and not mandarin? I'm not familiar with mandarin personally but I know 4 also sounds like death in vietnamese
It sounds death in mandarin but it doesn’t matter to most of Chinese people. It’s just a number. Ferrari named their vehicle “488” which sounds like dad death but still popular in China 🤣

Back