Toronto Concord Park Place: Ethennonnhawahstihnen' Community Centre | 18.9m | 4s | City of Toronto | MJMA

Crane is up:

D551_-rWAAAdpX_.jpg

"Woodsy Park" was basically finished last Fall and supposed to have grand opening celebration last Spring,... if anyone is wondering why the Woodsy Park grand openings is being stalled,.... politics!

Refresher to re-read my previous post:
Funny,.... I don’t recall the local Councillor dating anyone named Billes,.....

Image from page 14 of the document you referenced from 2013,... the street originally supposed to be named McMahon Drive have been renamed Woodsy Park Lane,.... and the park will now be named Woodsy Park!
View attachment 156280

“The way the story goes, Woodsy Park was inspired by the naming of Woodsy Park Lane, which according to my research, Shiner pushed through at the last meeting of North York Community Council in August of 2014.”

“He indicated in a letter to his colleagues at the time the proposed road name is in “keeping with the plans for a heavily wooded park and woodland themes.””

“Fast forward to September 2016 and a parks and recreation staff report proposed, not surprisingly, that the neighbouring park be officially called “Woodsy Park.””
https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/levy-david-shiner-vanity-project-2-0

Sounds innocent enough,.... but if you’ve read the article, you’ll notice the local Councillor’s girlfriend (his former executive assistant) is named Karen Wood. “First it was “Karen’s Way,” and now it’s “Woodsy Park.”” Oh, and Karen’s Way is closer to Bayview.
https://torontosun.com/news/local-n...r-name-a-new-street-after-his-partner-in-life
https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2018/ny/bgrd/backgroundfile-119084.pdf

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...ity-of-toronto-mjma.27008/page-3#post-1374331

Previous Councillor David Shiner got "Woodsy Lane" named in last meeting of North York Community Council in August of 2014,.... then in September 2016, City's Park & Rec named park "Woodsy Park" after street. Problem is previous Councillor David Shiner's girlfriend is named Karen Wood,... he also got a newly named street "Karen's Way" closer to Bayview!

Previous Councillor David Shiner choose not to run again in new 25 ward format; current local councillor Comrade Shelley Carroll - without any local public consultation put in surprise motion at City Council to rename "Woodsy Lane" and "Woodsy Park" to,.... "Ethennonnhawahstihnen" [et-hen-nonn-ha-wah-stih-nen] Wendat for ‘where they had a good, beautiful life’ - the Community Centre, Library, School & condos on this "Ethennonnhawahstihnen" street will use this street name.

"MM9.34 Request to investigate the feasibility of renaming Woodsy Park located at 80 McMahon Drive and the renaming of the adjacent Woodsy Lane, to Ethennonnhawahstihnen [et-hen-nonn-ha-wah-stih-nen] - by Councillor Shelley Carroll, seconded by Councillor Jennifer McKelvie (Ward 17) "

I’m all for picking an indigenous name, but does it have to be one that’s so wordy? It doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue..

It almost sounded like some sort of a joke. Reminds me of those long stations names in Europe we sometime see. Maybe they want people to come and take a selfie at this (possibly) longest street name in Toronto.

I'm generally a fan of Shelley's, she's one of our most progressive and thoughtful Councillors… but yup, I'd say her leanings have got the better of her in this case.

I'm fine with calling it Ethanol Park and Ethanol Lane and the Ethanol Community Centre if this does go through. And then they can plant some corn there, and make…

gas.

Are they still going to rename the park?

Yeap,.... the new name (Ethennonnhawahstihnen [et-hen-nonn-ha-wah-stih-nen] ) for both the park and adjacent street was approved at North York Community Council and City Council.

Now, they’ll have to replace that “Woodsy Park” sign with a new one that says “Ethennonnhawahstihnen Park” - needless to say, the new sign will be much longer,..... it’ll start where the current one is (pictured) and,... block off all 16 lanes of the widest highway in North America and end up on the other side of Highway 401

Back