Toronto Concord Park Place: Ethennonnhawahstihnen' Community Centre | 18.9m | 4s | City of Toronto | MJMA

The City tendered work on this in the second half of last year, the bids closing in December. No announcement of the winning contractor yet, but construction is expected to start this year.

The local library branch, which is currently at Bayview Village Mall, will be moving into this community centre.

Any chance at a direct link to Bessarion subway station?
Good question. I am not versed at reading architectural plans but I don't see one. And if there isn't at least sheltered connection someone deserves a smack IMO.
http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...on=viewSupportingDocPdf&attachmentRsn=5469732

Better still if Bessarion was closed for a while and the above ground station rebuilt into a continuous new structure. And before anyone accuses me of abandoning the few souls who use Bessarion, I'd have rather Coxwell shutdown than the painful "renovations" it experienced over the last year - and they are still there fiddling with a goddamn door beside the at-grade elevator.

Just for sharing purpose.

MVIMG_20180526_173555.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180526_173555.jpg
    MVIMG_20180526_173555.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 1,318
Last edited by a moderator:
Current progress of the park and road as of today.

Don’t forget CommunityCentre! I believe construction is scheduled to start this month,.... looking very closely at your photo (very upper right behind TTC Bessarion station), they appear to have a staging area, pile of dirt and construction trailer on-site. Well, it’s a start!

If you look carefully in Moto’s photo, behind Bessarion Subway station entrance, there’s the site of new Bessarion Community Centre - small shallow pit now with two pile drivers (one blue and one yellow) preparing diaphragm/slurry wall.

The rest is copy and paste from here:
https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...on-new-facilities/bessarion-community-centre/
9032-bessarion-cummunity-cente-south-view-1024x338.jpg

“The Bessarion Community Centre is a multi-use community recreation centre which will also include a childcare facility and a Toronto Public Library branch. The facility will be served by a commercial underground parking garage which will be operated by the Toronto Parking Authority. The construction contract was awarded in June 2018 and is expected to take approximately three years to complete.”

“The New Community Centre Features:”
“The Concord Park Place redevelopment currently under construction will add an estimated 4,000 residential units to the area. The recreational demands of this residential development will exceed the capacity of the existing facilities in the area, therefore new parkland and resources for a new community centre will be provided as part of the redevelopment.

The new Community Centre will feature
  • Recreation: 38,000 square footwill include a double gymnasium and change rooms, indoor running/walking track, fitness studio, weight room, art rooms, preschool room, games room, divisible community hall with kitchen, and multi-purpose rooms of varying sizes.
  • Aquatics: 27,000 square foot will include a 25m x 6 lane lap pool complete with barrier free ramp access, leisure pool with barrier free ramp access (complete with various water play features), and a deck area with a public viewing area within the pool enclosure (for leisure swim and tot lessons).
  • Toronto Library Branch: 13,000 square foot neighbourhood branch.
  • Child Care: 6,400 square foot child care centre for 52 children designed to meet the requirements of the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014, complete with outdoor play areas.
Underground Parking: 196 spaces, designed to Toronto Parking Authority design standards for commercial operation by the Toronto Parking Authority”

Again from Moto’s photo, behind Bessarion Subway station entrance is new Community Center site (now clearly marked by digging) - between here and highway 401 is rectangular untouched land full of bush and tree. This site is for the new elementary school at Park Place - the developer has reserved the land expecting City/TDSB to buy the land for the school. City Planning usually have this type of land donated by developer via Section37 Community Benefit, etc,... but never written into original agreement!

Anyways, City, TDSB and developer was supposed to meet and resolve this last July,... I still can’t find any update on this matter which is troubling.

Back