Aug 13, 2019

DSC09741.JPG

DSC09742.JPG

DSC09743.JPG

DSC09744.JPG

DSC09746.JPG

DSC09747.JPG

fullsizeoutput_2abf.jpeg

Another view of the opening of the former tunnel entering the Concord Canada House site from the north. While the base of the tunnel appears to be approximately at the same elevation as the railway corridor tracks to the north, judging from the size of the workers, it clearly was not of a height that it could be used for trains. Could it have been a service / delivery access route? According to one of the workers on the site, there was an even larger tunnel opening on the south side of the site - now covered up with concrete retaining wall. The north tunnel opening is also to be covered with concrete retaining wall, once whatever preparation activities the workers in the opening were currently doing has been completed.

I do not know if the two openings, north and south sides of the site, were part of the same tunnel system, or what their purpose may have been. I also do not recall seeing any enclosed tunnel structure within the site during the excavation process. Any insights would be welcome.

The first photo is of the north tunnel opening, with the workers in it. Judging from their size, the tunnel opening appears to be around 9 - 10 feet tall - definitely not sufficient for train use. The second photo is of the concrete section in the south wall retaining wall, which if the person I was speaking with on the site today is correct, would presumably be where the other tunnel opening would have been.

IMG_20190904_123600.jpg

IMG_20190904_123914.jpg

Looks like there may be a crane going up at Concord Canada House this weekend. From our terrace (i.e. a distance shot):
IMG_20190906_150058.jpg

Reactions: PMT

Back