Toronto 191 Bay | 301.74m | 64s | QuadReal | Hariri Pontarini

mirvish and gehry was approved years ago

This is true, but I was under the impression that the additional height (and lower density) of the resubmission still triggered a full zoning review on that site for some reason as opposed to being minor variance. Not sure!

yeah i have noticed that, commercial/offices are approved much quicker than resid.......

This has been under review officially for 18 months (Dec 2017) and unofficially for longer than that; they often ask planning whats reasonable before making an official application.

Plenty of residential goes through in under a year when they're not pushing density limits to new levels for the area and have their supporting documentation (shadowing, wind, etc. studies) done correctly. Top 50 proposals take a while as they're usually pushing boundaries; those ones in the 30m to 120m range by big name developers go through quite rapidly.

Last edited:
This has been under review officially for 18 months (Dec 2017) and unofficially for longer than that; they often ask planning whats reasonable before making an official application.

Plenty of residential goes through in under a year when they're not pushing density limits to new levels for the area and have their supporting documentation (shadowing, wind, etc. studies) done correctly. Top 50 proposals take a while as they're usually pushing boundaries; those ones in the 30m to 120m range by big name developers go through quite rapidly.

Well new legislation sets the "reasonable" review period to a nice healthy 3 months.. Not even small little applications in small northern communities are completed in 3 months. It's laughable to think that large complex applications like this could reasonably be reviewed in that time.

This is true, but I was under the impression that the additional height (and lower density) of the resubmission still triggered a full zoning review on that site for some reason as opposed to being minor variance. Not sure!
Correct.

Mirvish was approved years ago, but the owner couldn't actually build them as he, being a theatre mogul, had no experience in development. Took a while to sell the site to Great Gulf who has now made some changes to the project and is in need of a rezoning for them.

I have confirmed that the demolition of CC East is in fact the building containing the TTC secondary exit from King Stn.

This issue is not addressed by the zoning report but is to be addressed through site plan approval.

I would hope that any plan here secures the existing exit and/or interim capacity during construction.

It would also seem eminently sensible to secure expanded capacity of this exit, if feasible, as part of this proposal, given the substantial increase in employment directly over/adjacent to King Station.

Interesting to note that this project will house about 9,000 jobs upon completion. That's about 4% of the entire country's job growth in 2018. In a single building.

It's also replacing work space. Do you know if the work space in the basement is staying? I can only see a bank putting employees in a basement and CIBC is pretty much vacating the premises in a couple of years.

Back