Toronto 191 Bay | 301.74m | 64s | QuadReal | Hariri Pontarini

The Multi looks like a real maintenance headache to me. The more complex the system, the greater the likelihood of it breaking down. Gotta go take another look at it though, it's a very cool concept.

The current cable system is fairly high maintenance as well. I suspect the cables require replacing at least once or twice a year in an office tower such as this. That cab is out of service for the time it takes to replace them.

another sloppy scribble

Wouldn't it be great if this creature could (grow) and move near Yonge and retain a south view of the B of Commerce? 10 more minutes of shadow on the park in July.

Plus very complicated purchase of the land lol.... just for fun.

(P.S. connected floor plates so overall floor plate size is maintained.. and fewer blood clots because of occasional walks up the stairs to see the boss)

weightwatcher-gold2.jpg

Attachments

• weightwatcher-gold2.jpg
    weightwatcher-gold2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2,027
Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see it until your gold rendering, but I can now see the tie-in of the design to the older buildings:
- gold areas on your modified rendering has verticality from the art deco on Commerce Court North. The gold colour helps tie in to the limestone.
- the banding on the corner reveals ties in to the horizontal banding on Commerce Court West.

another sloppy scribble

View attachment 133291

1. Maple Leaf Square
2. Bell Lightbox
3. One Bedford
4. CityPlace: Montage + Neo
5. BA East

1. No problem with MLS. It's got far more program than almost anything else in the City. Page + Steele had a lot to do with the value engineering here too.
2. What's the problem with this? Also, Kirkor did the tower, KPMB's involvement was restricted to the cultural component / podium.
3. No problem with this either. I wish the podium had more retail tenants but that's more Lanterra's fault than the architect's. As with MLS, Page + Steele had a lot to do with this looking like it does.
4. No problem with them. I wish the original idea of running the brick halfway up the tower hadn't been abandoned but that was more Concord than KPMB.
5. Sure it's boring, but it's not *bad*.

Funny thing is, HP's worst is probably better than the best from the likes of KPMB, etc.

I like HP. Their designs add to the layers but, I see them more as a competent Kirkor. They are greatly inspired by other firm's designs and by what's hip and modern. KPMB has, by and large, developed their own brand and sticks to it. I have more respect for a firm like KPMB in this regard.

I'm not holding back. The Well's office tower is the best major office tower project to rise in a long time. It's still a complete knockoff.

Plus, firmly on the other side of the spectrum, Koerner Hall is one of the best contemporary buildings in the city, Rotman and the Gardiner aren't far behind, Bridgepoint is wonderful, and the Fort York Library branch is a rich-detail-filled gem (to say nothing of some of their excellent projects outside Toronto; hello, Remai Modern and Princeton Economics building).

Anyone wanna guess how long this proposal sits stale? My guess is 2 years before a redesign and smaller building. Will be lucky to be built by 2030.

Back