Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Many people, in many locations probably ought not to own dogs, as giving the animals a good life, and being an otherwise responsible owner may simply be too great a challenge.

That said, unless the City were to enforce restrictions on dog ownership (unlikely); Parks planning needs to think about the implications given widespread dog ownership.

Over at Planning, the requirement for pet relief areas in new condos of any size is one way of addressing the issue; but doesn't help the previous 2 decades of builds where that went unaddressed.

On the Parks side, DOLAs (or dogs off leash areas) are relatively rare in Toronto, particularly in the highrise communities that arguably need them most.

One of the challenges is that DOLAs, when popular, generate lots of noise and traffic and the result is lots of complaints from neighbours, particularly in small parks.
So policies now exist largely precluding new DOLAs anywhere near an actual residence.

The policy itself probably requires a re-tweak; but in the meantime, this is but one more reason I highlight the need for larger parks. Small spaces simply can't accommodate a DOLA under current rules in most cases
never mind the practical limitations.

The nearest DOLA for residents surrounding College Park is probably Allan Gardens. It's not a huge walk, but in anything but idea weather, a lot of people aren't going to make the 1.5km round trip that makes a 20M Dog Park visit a 45 minute time commitment.

None of that is excuse irresponsible owners; nor to suggest we can't create park designs that are damage resistant, yet beautiful. We have, and we can.

Rather, it's to say, the best way to achieve optimal results is likely a carrot and stick approach; one in which you make being responsible relatively easy; and being irresponsible more difficult.
I am not sure I could ever said that better. So thank you for this! /bows

Maintaining attractive, clean, green spaces for Torontonians and simultaneously accommodating the dog population is something that definitely needs a re-think. I live close to Allan Gardens and those 2 off leash dog enclosures are fabulous amenities/heavily used. It hasn't stopped every other green space surrounding the park from being used as an off leash dog space though. Owners simply ignore the rules and become aggressive/violent if you say anything.

There's green space behind my condo building (condo fees go to pay for that grass, the flower beds, etc.) and a City parkette next to that. Neither are off leash spaces. My condo green space has healthy green grass while the parkette grass is 90% destroyed. In both areas, most of the dog owners simply ignore the rules and allow their dogs to run around off leash to do as they please. The difference is usage. On the condo grass, security make an effort to enforce regulations so dog owners simply go to the parkette next door. So enforcement only works if it happens everywhere. It's an unrealistic expectation and condo security/City staff have better things to do than chase after 30 dog owners each day.

I don't know what the solution is but if we're to have attractive, clean, healthy green spaces in this city that all Torontonians get to enjoy we need to figure it out. If we don't, we're throwing our money down the drain investing in green spaces. The dog population is only going to go up. Maybe we need to look to other dog loving cities for ideas. Surely, we don't have to hire 500 city staffers to patrol our parks and hand out fines but it's gotten ridiculous. Riverdale Park West is close to unusable.

Btw, Tommy Thompson Park is dog free because it's a wildlife reserve. People seem compliant. Perhaps we need to designate a few more parks dog free? Personally, I love all animals but the needs of people need to come first/be respected. My mother and a significant share of the population are scared of/uncomfortable around dogs. She was viciously attacked and never got over it. She should be able to live in Toronto and enjoy green space but she can't. She should be able to walk to the store without having an off leash dog running up to her.

Last edited:
Maintaining attractive, clean, green spaces for Torontonians and simultaneously accommodating the dog population is something that definitely needs a re-think. I live close to Allan Gardens and those 2 off leash dog enclosures are fabulous amenities/heavily used. It hasn't stopped every other green space surrounding the park from being used as an off leash dog space though. Owners simply ignore the rules and become aggressive/violent if you say anything.

There's green space behind my condo building (condo fees go to pay for that grass, the flower beds, etc.) and a City parkette next to that. Neither are off leash spaces. My condo green space has healthy green grass while the parkette grass is 90% destroyed. In both areas, most of the dog owners simply ignore the rules and allow their dogs to run around off leash to do as they please. The difference is usage. On the condo grass, security make an effort to enforce regulations so dog owners simply go to the parkette next door. So enforcement only works if it happens everywhere. It's an unrealistic expectation and condo security/City staff have better things to do than chase after 30 dog owners each day.

I don't know what the solution is but if we're to have attractive, clean, healthy green spaces in this city that all Torontonians get to enjoy we need to figure it out. If we don't, we're throwing our money down the drain investing in green spaces. The dog population is only going to go up. Maybe we need to look to other dog loving cities for ideas. Surely, we don't have to hire 500 city staffers to patrol our parks and hand out fines but it's gotten ridiculous. Riverdale Park West is close to unusable.

Btw, Tommy Thompson Park is dog free because it's a wildlife reserve. People seem compliant. Perhaps we need to designate a few more parks dog free? Personally, I love all animals but the needs of people need to come first/be respected. My mother and a significant share of the population are scared of/uncomfortable around dogs. She was viciously attacked and never got over it. She should be able to live in Toronto and enjoy green space but she can't. She should be able to walk to the store without having an off leash dog running up to her.
The last great " freedom" to some, I suppose - My dog (or cat) likes to roam free. Forget there are bylaws in places to stop this, but find a bylaw officer to enforce this. Since when did, " don't tell me what to do " become the final word ?

...I think there needs to be a lot more than a few off-dog areas in this city. And dog owners need to learn their place, IMO.

As with any type of person, there are those who are responsible and irresponsible. But this "them and us", "you need to learn your place" attitude is harmful, not helpful. You seem to be implying that those who own dogs ought to be relegated to a lower rung of society, something likely to get people's backs up, rather than engender the spirit of civic comity that could encourage those with dogs to be respectful of those who are uncomfortable with them.

The fact is that there are a lot of dogs in the City. I think @Northern Light had it right: the City ought to be aware of the issue and parks and civic spaces be designed accordingly. If there were areas available for dog relief AND dog exercise (two different but related issues), responsible owners would use them, reducing conflict.

The fact is that there are a lot of dogs in the City. I think @Northern Light had it right: the City ought to be aware of the issue and parks and civic spaces be designed accordingly. If there were areas available for dog relief AND dog exercise (two different but related issues), responsible owners would use them, reducing conflict.
I can at least agree with that part.

...as for the former, I will say it takes a few to start spoiling it for everyone. And in a highly dense areas though, a few become a lot.

That said, keep in mind this is my personal views which are unlikely to change the current reality. So there will be unlikely be any sudden draconian bylaws over this that will make your dog walking exercises a living hell, in case you are worried about that. As well as my opinion was not really targeted at responsible dog owners, for what this is worth.

Last edited:

Put nice attractive black metal fence around it? saw it in DC. It works. with signs

The 'tent' is back. But grey and split up into multiple parts...
(technically I guess this isn't part of the park, but close enough)

IMG_20220710_130151.jpg

IMG_20220710_130217.jpg

This is the saddest park 'lawn' I have seen for a while - clearly PFR have given up on it!

View attachment 436606

Yeah, I covered this in my post from earlier this year on the previous page:

This is a desire line, very clearly. It's not just a matter of resodding, it's obviously the shortest distance between two points in a direction people travel.

It requires a formal path, along with strategic edge treatments that keep people on the path (seats, shrubs etc.).

Then, and only then can you consider re-sodding. Though, I think there is a need to address dog relief better in this area as well; and then I would probably consider an alternate ground cover to sod for at least part of this space.

Back