Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Have you heard of a dog park? These parks are throughout the city, where dogs can roam free. Not only are 99% of them larger than an isolating private backyard, but dogs are able to play with other dogs - becoming more social. Owners get some exercise walking to the park and also have the opportunity to become more social themselves with other dog owners. Dog parks are arguably healthier than dogs locked up alone in backyards (while their owners watch TV in their basement to drown out their dog's barking).

Plus be real with most people who own houses - the vast majority are not fenced properly to allow dogs to roam free. And if they are, most are postage stamp size yards that are barely big enough for a back deck. I'm with TheSix, urban dogs tend to be more social than suburban dogs, with probably equal access to walks and free roaming.

Plus be real with most people who own houses - the vast majority are not fenced properly to allow dogs to roam free. And if they are, most are postage stamp size yards that are barely big enough for a back deck. I'm with TheSix, urban dogs tend to be more social than suburban dogs, with probably equal access to walks and free roaming.
Have you heard of a dog park? These parks are throughout the city, where dogs can roam free. Not only are 99% of them larger than an isolating private backyard, but dogs are able to play with other dogs - becoming more social. Owners get some exercise walking to the park and also have the opportunity to become more social themselves with other dog owners. Dog parks are arguably healthier than dogs locked up alone in backyards (while their owners watch TV in their basement to drown out their dog's barking).
Have you ever seen dog owners downtown? they go outside, turn on their phone and stare at it for 5 minutes while their dog pisses on their building, then they go inside because it's too cold. or they let their dogs roam around common outdoor areas while they check their social status on the phone. It is truly sad and too many people should not be dog owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Careful, you are walking a very dangerous line with your "observations". That would be like me saying, something like:

Have you seen suburban owners walking their dogs? Wait, no you haven't because they are either in their cars running over pedestrians or watching tv eating chips and getting fat.

I've been a dog owner on a farm and a dog owner in a condo DT. And I can honestly say my dogs life improved drastically in the city. He was able to have more playtime with other dogs and explore the world beyond his past farm boundaries with long walks. There is so much more to sniff and see in the city. This made him more social and friendly, and my health also improved from being more active. Overall we've both become more well rounded from expanding our perspectives beyond an empty field of grass.

Are there lazy city dog owners? Of course. Just like there are lazy suburban dog owners. But making a statement saying that city dogs are at a disadvantage is just plain inaccurate and honestly, quite ignorant and very close minded.

Today.

IMG_4224.jpeg

News Release

July 10, 2019

Revitalized College Park now offers urban oasis in the downtown core

Mayor John Tory was joined today by Councillor Mike Layton (Ward 11 University Rosedale), Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam (Ward 13 Toronto Centre), Martin Wray, Chairperson of the Board of the Downtown Yonge BIA and Vice President of Operations for Cadillac Fairview, and City of Toronto staff to officially reopen College Park.

This multi-year, multi-use redevelopment project has resulted in an exhilarating and engaging outdoor experience that regenerates a vital public space in the heart of downtown.

Among the key elements of the new College Park is the ice rink redevelopment as a five-metre-wide trail, named after iconic Canadian figure skater Barbara Ann Scott. This skate trail, designed to be a walking loop in summer, is the first exterior rink in Ontario to incorporate state-of-the-art CO2 technology in its refrigeration system.

Adjacent to the trail, a dynamic architectural construction of wood, glass and stainless steel has been designed as the new rink house/warming station/Zamboni station. Additional park features include a water fountain and accompanying sculptures.

Funding for the College Park redevelopment was secured through Canderel Stoneridge, the company responsible for the nearby Aura condo at Gerrard and Yonge Streets, with additional funding provided by the City of Toronto.

The redevelopment project is the result of the City collaborating with partners such as the Downtown Yonge BIA, MBTW Group/Watchorn Architect and Project for Public Spaces.

Quotes

"The College Park revitalization is an excellent example of the well-designed public spaces we can create when we work together with a focus on community and what we know our residents want."

- Mayor John Tory

"I am excited to see College Park become a networking hub for local residents and visitors to the city. This revitalization brings with it a space for people to participate in recreational activity, or spend a moment relaxing in a unique urban environment."

- Councillor Mike Layton (Ward 11 University-Rosedale)

"This exciting College Park project showcases how this part of Yonge Street, with Canada's highest pedestrian volumes, can be transformed into a more beautiful and pleasurable space in the city."

- Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam (Ward 13 Toronto Centre)

"College Park is a green oasis not just for the large and growing residential neighbourhood in Downtown Yonge, but also the thousands of employees, visitors and students looking for a respite from the daily hustle and bustle of city life. Revitalizing the park encourages new uses and brings new activities into the park, to the enjoyment of all community partners as well as Torontonians at large."

- Mark Garner, COO of Downtown Yonge Business Improvement Area
News Release

I walked around & sat in the park about a week and a half ago, and I greatly disliked it. There's more space being used now so it appears bigger than it used to be, but it's an oppressive place to walk into and sit. No fun. There's not enough green that I'd hope for, too much concrete (pavers etc.) and not enough areas to sit. I didn't see the frogs, could I have somehow missed them or did these arrive recently? Great video there Torontovibe. There was no water feature either, so that could add some atmosphere to the space. I don't grasp the skating idea, that's my problem no one else's - I'll figure it out. Aside from some light lunchtime jazz, you know nothing can be programmed there in the evening because of noise into the apartments & condos.
I also have a dog, I've had dogs downtown since the 80's, mine have been Labs. Dogs do not need a large home to be happy, what they do need is to be exercised and socialized on walks or in dog parks. It's really that simple. I've always trained my dogs to go #2 on the shoulder of the sidewalk, so that I can pickup 100% (vs. grass) and dispose of it properly. It's very easy to train a dog to do things. Shame on anyone who doesn't pick up from their dog, there's no excuse.
In 2009 I photographed every park between about Ossington & Parliament, Bloor down to the lake. I love our parks, even the one's that fail can have positive features. I don't know where all those photos are, probably buried somewhere in the "Out and About" section. Anyway, we'll see how College Park develops over the next few years, I guess it can only get better.

I just watched that video (thanks for it) and could not believe how little spots there are to sit and relax. You would think with the density in the immediate area (of office workers in cubicles, and residents in, well, cubicles) that a public spot/space to gather, sit and relax, would be in huge demand. And much needed (in addition to a dog park, which it appears to have a lot of empty room for).

I can see the validity in dt_toronto_geek's critique of oppressiveness and general blandness. Bring on the benches, the trees, the greenery and the public will follow. Otherwise, you have a Costco parking lot.

in case anyone would like to refute the excessive use of concrete:

Ah well, I guess it's better than nothing. We are living in a park renaissance era in the city (berczy, st andrews, sherbourne commons...) so i hope that we learn from previous errors.

Ah well, I guess it's better than nothing. We are living in a park renaissance era in the city (berczy, st andrews, sherbourne commons...) so i hope that we learn from previous errors.

This park is especially atrocious considering it is contemporaneous to Berczy, etc.

AoD

ha ibecause this park has been in the works for the past 7+ years i like to think of it as the product of outdated thinking and past mistakes.

I don't think so - since the process for Berczy wasn't exactly short either. It is not clear who championed this park - much less have a vision for it.

AoD

Back