Toronto College Park Revitalization with Barbara Ann Scott Skate Trail | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | RAW Design

Damn you crazy 60s urban planning ruining the walkable grid :(

To be fair, if the Eaton project from the 30s went through in its' entirety we probably won't be complaining about the superblock.

tumblr_inline_n4prvklAh91r97ndl.jpg

http://78.media.tumblr.com/6198f7860b5ff7ee146d6cd56c646741/tumblr_inline_n4prvklAh91r97ndl.jpg

AoD

same way they do now. Via council resolution. It still happens today, though usually not a full street closure. the Mirvish Village development is closing a public lane, for example. The developer is paying the city a market rate for the laneway, and then they are building a parking garage underneath it and reintroducing the space at ground level as a POPs.

There was a one-storey extension that continued the Eaton's College St. art deco style along College and provided window display and all-weather access from Bay St.

Similar to the one storey section of the budding that extends south on Yonge towards Gerrard?

Similar to the one storey section of the budding that extends south on Yonge towards Gerrard?
Yes, they were like wings to the main building. I suspect at one time Eaton's intended to return to something like the original plans for a full buildout but obviously that never happened. The Eaton Centre happened instead, and we know how that worked out.

I have these dated as 1956, but I believe this section stood until the late 70's. The photo with the higher building in the background on Bay St. was not part of Eaton's College Park, I believe.

Eatons College at Bay St_1956.jpg
Eatons College at Hayter St_1956.jpg
Eatons College at Hayter St2_1956.jpg

Attachments

• Eatons College at Bay St_1956.jpg
    Eatons College at Bay St_1956.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 613
  • Eatons College at Hayter St_1956.jpg
    Eatons College at Hayter St_1956.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 549
  • Eatons College at Hayter St2_1956.jpg
    Eatons College at Hayter St2_1956.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 579
Last edited by a moderator:
There needs to be a rule against feeding pigeons in this entire complex. The old park was littered with pigeon feces to the point where there was nowhere to sit and enjoy a meal. Would be a shame if the new park goes back to being a giant pigeon toilet. Bird spikes and maybe poison should be enlisted to rid the area of the nuisance.

I absolutely hate watching people feed pigeons in open spaces like that. Perhaps I’m being selfish but it’s a giant shitfest.

I absolutely hate watching people feed pigeons in open spaces like that. Perhaps I’m being selfish but it’s a giant shitfest.
YES! We have several people around here (St Lawrence) who wheel bundle-buggies around with bird food and scatter it on the sidewalks. It is actually against City by-laws to do this (I think) but hard to enforce. Rats with wings!

rats.png

Attachments

• rats.png
    rats.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 534

Back