Hamilton King William Urban Rentals | 97.56m | 30s | LIUNA | Graziani + Corazza

Has anyone seen the ground floor retail leasing plans/layout, etc?

FRONT-DW-Liuna-Hamilton-45-King-web.jpg

Is Hamilton slated to get a new tallest building soon? Their skyline looks rather tired.

Downtown Hamilton has a height restriction which is supposed to prevent buildings from being taller than the Niagara Escarpment, which is generally around 100m tall around downtown. It's why most of the tower proposals in Hamilton are 27-30 storeys.

A few buildings have been approved to be a bit taller, including 75 James and Television City, but none have gone over the height of Landmark Place, the current tallest, which is 121m tall. The proposed tower on the waterfront (here) will be 147 metres tall and a new tallest, though it will be outside of the immediate downtown, and still does not exceed the Geodetic height of Landmark Place as it is at a lower elevation.

The one building in Hamilton actually proposed to be a new tallest is 310 Frances, located off the side of the QEW in Stoney Creek, which is proposed to be 180 metres tall.

Generally Hamilton's skyline looks "tired" as there was basically a 40-year gap in new construction between 1975 and 2015 or so. New stuff is going up again, and in fairly significant numbers (by my last count there are over 40 towers proposed and under construction in Downtown Hamilton), so that will change, albeit all will be relatively short and the skyline will feel quite "tabletop".

Downtown Hamilton has a height restriction which is supposed to prevent buildings from being taller than the Niagara Escarpment, which is generally around 100m tall around downtown. It's why most of the tower proposals in Hamilton are 27-30 storeys.

A few buildings have been approved to be a bit taller, including 75 James and Television City, but none have gone over the height of Landmark Place, the current tallest, which is 121m tall. The proposed tower on the waterfront (here) will be 147 metres tall and a new tallest, though it will be outside of the immediate downtown, and still does not exceed the Geodetic height of Landmark Place as it is at a lower elevation.

The one building in Hamilton actually proposed to be a new tallest is 310 Frances, located off the side of the QEW in Stoney Creek, which is proposed to be 180 metres tall.

Generally Hamilton's skyline looks "tired" as there was basically a 40-year gap in new construction between 1975 and 2015 or so. New stuff is going up again, and in fairly significant numbers (by my last count there are over 40 towers proposed and under construction in Downtown Hamilton), so that will change, albeit all will be relatively short and the skyline will feel quite "tabletop".
Fascinating. I'd really love to hear the reasoning behind keeping all towers shorter than the escarpment.

Fascinating. I'd really love to hear the reasoning behind keeping all towers shorter than the escarpment.
The official reasoning, IIRC, is about “protecting” views to and from the escarpment, because the escarpment is a important natural feature.

In theory, it sounds like reasonable policy.

In practice, at best it does nothing to support that goal, and at worst actually blocks more view, as separation distances between towers are reduced and tower floorplates made greatly larger, rather than build up.

It is a policy that, in my view, does not make sense and does not hold up under reasonable scrutiny. (I should note for full transparency that I am working on restarting soon an organization that will be pushing for the end of the escarpment height limit, and for the City to adopt other policies that support better urban development.)

A good way to go about it, imo, would be to preserve view corridors and perhaps tightly cluster where anything 35+ storey buildings would go. The proposal behind Landmark Place does this intuitively, being the tallest downtown proposal yet- no doubt due to its location. The escarpment is first and foremost quite broad, and for a pedestrian in the lower city many buildings block the view from below already. And for the escarpment, there is a vested interest for some to ‘preserve their view’ of the lake/city. Even still, the maximum in this scenario should still probably be fairly in line with the existing skyline or at least have decreasing height in a radius.

It’s also worth noting however that the purpose of the height restriction is to also more evenly distribute downtown and beyond. Concentrating demand in a few projects in the core doesn’t really do much for the rest of the city that is in dire need of development. Who’s to say If the city has decided the optimal height downtown is 30 floors to manage balance.

MODS. Maybe add "Hamilton" to thread title. Though I like seeing info from other places, as this is Urban Toronto it is really quite (momentarily) confusing to find info from other locations but not identified as such in the thread title.

We are looking at options for this. Stay tuned.

As promised, a more fulsome set of pictures of this project. Photos taken Friday, September 2nd.

Starting off with a distance shot, taken from James and Augusta.
DSC_0021_PC.jpg

Closer in, the view of it from King, just east of Catharine.
DSC_0136_PC.jpg

As seen from the intersection of King and John.
DSC_0148_PC.jpg

A couple pictures from Gore Park.
DSC_0152_PC.jpg

DSC_0175_PC.jpg

DSC_0178_PC.jpg

DSC_0180_PC.jpg

Looking up at the tower facing Hughson. I am quite liking the sense of enclosure it's creating along here.
DSC_0185_PC.jpg

The Hughson side of the podium.
DSC_0190_PC.jpg

The King William side of the podium.
DSC_0193_PC.jpg

Looking up from King William and Hughson.
DSC_0194_PC.jpg

Progress on the ground level glazing along King William.
DSC_0196_PC.jpg

It wouldn't be a true G+C project without at least a little bit of gratuitous spandrel. All things considered, it's minimal at this point.
DSC_0199_PC.jpg

The tower facing King William.
DSC_0200_PC.jpg

Finally, one last view from King William.
DSC_0213_PC.jpg

Back