Toronto Toronto Coach Terminal Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | CreateTO

There's no model to increase the units managed by TCHC, in fact the City is divesting some TCHC properties to NGO's.

I agree that is what is occurring. I do wonder though if TCHC (or a reconceived version thereof) couldn't be building 'Housing Now' sites in-house, eliminating the need for a profit component and delivering more affordable units in the process with a mixed-income model.

I was asking as the media makes it looks like TCHC doesn't do a good job as landlord. Assuming that's true, it's good to hear their footprint is getting smaller.

I was asking as the media makes it looks like TCHC doesn't do a good job as landlord. Assuming that's true, it's good to hear their footprint is getting smaller.

TCHC is a mixed bag. It's certainly not a luxury housing provider, as you'd expect.

But the operation/conditions of its sites vary widely.

I don't think it would be fair to suggest they never do/can't do a good job. But it would be fair to say they often have not.

There are a host of issues.

I won't delve into them all here, as that's its own thread.

But the sheer size of the agency, plus contracting out management at many sites (being phased out); along with a shortage of maintenance funds over the years have certainly contributed to problems
and the perception of same.

Agree with many of the things that @Northern Light says above --- BUT to be clear, it's not "the media" that shows " TCHC doesn't do a good job as landlord"... it's their own Audits and Data that show it.

I agree that is what is occurring. I do wonder though if TCHC (or a reconceived version thereof) couldn't be building 'Housing Now' sites in-house, eliminating the need for a profit component and delivering more affordable units in the process with a mixed-income model.
...not with any degree of speed, scale... or competence...

Reactions: AHK
...not with any degree of speed, scale... or competence...

Public housing in Vienna is often discussed with much reverence for its architectural quality and a model, similar to Housing Now that supports subsidized units with market units, except these are provided by the publicly-owned housing developer.

I see no reason we can't simply hire the City of Vienna to build us a new housing provider from scratch modeled on their own.

We needn't reinvent the wheel. Hire the people doing it properly to bring in the proper policies, people and culture.

Once up and running, they could slowly absorb the TCHC portfolio, probably through the revitalization process.

I see no reason we can't simply hire the City of Vienna to build us a new housing provider from scratch modeled on their own.
Outlining that process would require us to meet face-to-face with 2 x large whiteboards, and unlimited number (and colours) of dry-erase markers ... and at least ONE case of Scotch... 💫😵

Outlining that process would require us to meet face-to-face with 2 x large whiteboards, and unlimited number (and colours) of dry-erase markers ... and at least ONE case of Scotch.. Amarone. 💫😵

There, I fixed it for you.

And I'm down.

So the ModernTO item was up at Executive today, and it passed, with a couple of modest amendments related to this site:

The first is a long-winded one seeking some explanation from the TTC on the terms of its winddown agreement with Toronto Coach Terminal Inc.:

1648679186066.png

The other is this:

1648679128221.png

This thread needs a pic of what the main terminal here looked like originally.

1652107297178.png

Source: Facebook group Friends Who Like Vintage Toronto - posted by David Nash :

What a gem! While there remains much beauty in what's left, you can see so much money was spent over the years to cover this beauty and diminish it w/cheap finishes......sigh.

Some brief commentary about the building at the NW corner of Bay & Dundas, as Uncle Tetsu's moved across the street to the Atrium:

Uncle Tetsu’s had no choice but to move to a new location after the city bought the building it was in, the Grey Hound bus terminal, after the terminal declared bankruptcy. As Uncle Tetsu was already famous for its long line-ups, the retailer decided it was best to stick to the same area and move across the street. This was a bittersweet move as the location at the former Grey Hound terminal was the first store in North America.

Back