Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

The CN Tower has installed brand new lights. There are highly detailed patterns inside of the Radome and new spotlights installed both at the base of the tower and on top of the main deck shooting up into the sky and sometimes illuminating the antenna. I’m not sure if it’s permanent or for Canada Day but it’s damn awesome! Hope they keep it.

Yea I've been noticing that in my recent photos. I hope they keep it too!
Downtown Toronto by Jack Landau, on Flickr

CN Tower says they’re temporary

Seems like a lot of work to go through to install these special lights. There appear to be hundreds of individual lights up the elevator shaft and the typical colour bath instead the radome have been replaced by more detailed individual lights.

Maybe some of the pattern projection and the spotlights are temporary. I guess we’ll see after the Canada Day show.

CN Tower says they’re temporary

Seems like a lot of work to go through to install these special lights. There appear to be hundreds of individual lights up the elevator shaft and the typical colour bath instead the radome have been replaced by more detailed individual lights.

Maybe some of the pattern projection and the spotlights are temporary. I guess we’ll see after the Canada Day show.
I think that response refers to the green projected lighting on the lower spire, which is being used for the light show tomorrow. Those hearts have been there since April I think, so that doesn't make sense as a Canada Day installation.

Ya and the elevator shaft lighting is no different in the video from the way it's been for a while now. I actually don't like the way they use the lights in the elevator shaft. It just looks messy. I would do it differently

I watched 5 minutes of the 10 PM Canada Day video last night. Really underwhelming, which may have been because of cheap cameras aimed at the tower, with an annoyingly crappy soundtrack. Maybe it got better after I moved on to something else…

I watched 5 minutes of the 10 PM Canada Day video last night. Really underwhelming, which may have been because of cheap cameras aimed at the tower, with an annoyingly crappy soundtrack. Maybe it got better after I moved on to something else…

It didn't get better. It stayed consistently mehh throughout. You made the right call giving up on it

It wont last, CLC seems intent on ruining the landscape here as much as they can.

I would say they need to get out of the public realm business, but they cant even do divestitures properly either.

will be interesting where this ends up at Ryerson. the main part of the campus was just redone so I doubt there. My bet is it will be in the pitman quad as that dump of a place always has some sort of popup

This entire area needs to be rethought IMO, the piecemeal development and dated 90s-era landscaping is making it rather unattractive.

Two elements for consideration:
1.) Calming the senses- careful integration of existing context into a combination of hard and soft-scaping, to unify the space into a singular ensemble to give people a place to relax.
2.) Indulging the senses- Fill the area with attractions,retail, dining and spectacles- make it a place to grab a bite after a Jays game and people-watch.

Back