Toronto CN Tower: Entry Pavilion, Plaza, Renos | ?m | ?s | CLC | Arcadis

I’m skeptical. It sounds like the second phase involves other work throughout the floor which could mean knocking down walls, replacing HVAC systems, redeveloping the bar, etc. There’s no explicit mention of replacing the other windows. I hope they do but I’m not counting on it. That they’re starting work in October when it starts to get cold isn’t encouraging. Sounds like phase 2 is all the interior work.

This quote from the article makes me think there will be full replacement of the current windows with the new ones:

"It's in early stages but the redevelopment will be the entire floor, updating HVAC and things like that as well, but again it's about the view...and really just making it a world class observation," said Jones.

We'll aim to get a definitive answer on that though.

It sounds to me like all the glass on the lookout level will be replaced, which is great news!

Let me guess... you own one of these

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Attachments

• jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
    jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 354
I’m skeptical. It sounds like the second phase involves other work throughout the floor which could mean knocking down walls, replacing HVAC systems, redeveloping the bar, etc. There’s no explicit mention of replacing the other windows. I hope they do but I’m not counting on it. That they’re starting work in October when it starts to get cold isn’t encouraging. Sounds like phase 2 is all the interior work.
The Hvac work probably needs to be done before they can take out the old galls. Most likely they will take all winter to do that and they will be able to change out the glass by the time the spring comes.

Awesome. I look forward to hearing back--was down here as well the other day and the current state is pretty disappointing.
It has taken several days to get an answer on this, but a spokesperson for PCL Constructors has sent this:

Once the renovation is complete, there will be six sections at around 40 feet each, which equates to about 240 linear feet, or about half of the observation level.

Maybe those sections will all be equally spaced? (And would that help? Who knows… not me, not yet at least.) I am hoping we will eventually see plans. Will have a drink on hand when I open up that attachment for the first time, just in case I need it.

Maybe those sections will all be equally spaced? (And would that help? Who knows… not me, not yet at least.) I am hoping we will eventually see plans. Will have a drink on hand when I open up that attachment for the first time, just in case I need it.

Not the ideal outcome - is there a good reason why we need to have bays instead of a complete redo of all the glass? This sounds like a half-measure.

AoD

A small fire at the CN Tower- if there was a far more serious incident which weakened the top of the tower and required it to be taken down- what next for the CN Tower?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/cn-tower-fire-1.4249033

One would have thought that there isn't enough combustible materials to create that kind of damage?

AoD

"It looks like a tar substance that's burning," Toronto Fire Platoon Chief Kevin Shaw said before the fire was put out hours later.

Toronto Fire District Chief Stephan Powell said: "The mast itself is steel. It's above the SkyPod. There's numerous pieces of conduit that feed the various antenna feeds that are within there and one of these have started to maybe smoulder or burn."

I highly doubt we will see weakening of the structure for many decades to come. It was built to last.

I was wondering about a hypothetical situation if a fire was much more severe and weakened the structural steel of the top mast.

Would we see a shortened CN Tower if they don't have the resources to rebuild the top portions?

I was wondering about a hypothetical situation if a fire was much more severe and weakened the structural steel of the top mast.
Would we see a shortened CN Tower if they don't have the resources to rebuild the top portions?

Of all the buildings in Toronto, this is one where there will be public demand to rebuild.

AoD

And before anyone freaks out ............................

3D visualization of a conceptual proposal by Quadrangle Architects. The idea of Toronto-based architectural studio is to turn the city’s landmark CN Tower into a residential high-rise covered with wooden pods. Our photorealistic images illustrate the concept of reinvigorating the tower with condominiums, in an excellent location with unparalleled views, while maintaining the building’s existing functions.

Back