Toronto Cloverdale Mall Redevelopment | 156.9m | 48s | QuadReal | Giannone Petricone

PMT

Member Bio
Reaction score
250 THE EAST MALL
Ward 05 - Etob. York District

►View All Properties

To permit the demolition of the existing former Target store portion of Cloverdale Mall and replace it with a new addition that will comprise of a new food court, commercial retail stores and second floor offices. Two new free-standing buildings are also proposed: a 6,506 square metre fitness facility and a 595 square metre CRU building.

Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 17 231666 WET 05 SA Sep 12, 2017 Under Review

Good for the owners. Surprised they aren't doing residential.
It makes sense for them to rebuild on the Target footprint, but this is unambitious. It's time to dump surface parking and single storey development for multi-storey, multi-use. Second floor offices and single use free-standing pads are weak and represent yesterday's development.

I predict an LA fitness.
Same here.
It makes sense for them to rebuild on the Target footprint, but this is unambitious. It's time to dump surface parking and single storey development for multi-storey, multi-use. Second floor offices and single use free-standing pads are weak and represent yesterday's development.
If they build mixed use, wouldn't it make sense to build on a parking lot closer to Dundas?

The whole site should be replanned, à la Golden Mile plans, but I think which corner it starts at is a debatable matter that's not too important in the long run.

Architect is WZMH:
upload_2017-9-28_17-11-0.png

upload_2017-9-28_17-12-13.png

upload_2017-9-28_17-12-29.png

upload_2017-9-28_17-12-47.png

upload_2017-9-28_17-13-6.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-28_17-11-0.png
    upload_2017-9-28_17-11-0.png
    284.3 KB · Views: 3,345
  • upload_2017-9-28_17-12-13.png
    upload_2017-9-28_17-12-13.png
    622.4 KB · Views: 3,243
  • upload_2017-9-28_17-12-29.png
    upload_2017-9-28_17-12-29.png
    517.7 KB · Views: 3,155
  • upload_2017-9-28_17-12-47.png
    upload_2017-9-28_17-12-47.png
    586 KB · Views: 3,325
  • upload_2017-9-28_17-13-6.png
    upload_2017-9-28_17-13-6.png
    884.1 KB · Views: 3,261
Movati?
Well that came out of left field. I, too, was expecting an LA Fitness, especially after seeing that footprint shape.

I think that with the high-end cars the renderpeople are driving, these folks were trying to get to Sherway Gardens.
The older folks that shop here are from the generation that bought houses in this area for 100k and are now valued at over 10-15 times that amount today. Many of them are driving nice cars.

The older folks that shop here are from the generation that bought houses in this area for 100k and are now valued at over 10-15 times that amount today. Many of them are driving nice cars.

I used to work in the area and went to Cloverdale often for services and food. You can get a haircut there for a decent price, get your glasses adjusted, buy a book, buy some fresh food at Metro, and buy some alcohol at the LCBO. Say it's 8:00 pm on a Monday and you need a haircut. It's no problem at Cloverdale Mall.

Many of the older people live on fixed incomes and don't drive nice cars. The people driving nice cars are generally the middle aged people who are tearing down the bungalows and building significantly larger houses in their places on the same lots. A lot of seniors stop improving and renovating their homes at some point in their retirement years. When they die, the houses sell for less because they're not updated with the most recent finishes. Then, well-off people buy them, demolish them, and build their dream houses.

I used to work in the area and went to Cloverdale often for services and food. You can get a haircut there for a decent price, get your glasses adjusted, buy a book, buy some fresh food at Metro, and buy some alcohol at the LCBO. Say it's 8:00 pm on a Monday and you need a haircut. It's no problem at Cloverdale Mall.

Many of the older people live on fixed incomes and don't drive nice cars. The people driving nice cars are generally the middle aged people who are tearing down the bungalows and building significantly larger houses in their places on the same lots. A lot of seniors stop improving and renovating their homes at some point in their retirement years. When they die, the houses sell for less because they're not updated with the most recent finishes. Then, well-off people buy them, demolish them, and build their dream houses.

I agree with you. But there is still a contingent of the population that fit within the description I gave.
Cloverdale is a nice spot to stop in, never too busy, and like you said, you can get all the basics here. I used to live in the area, and would make frequent stops on my way home from work to get a few of the staples you've listed (alcohol, haircut, etc). I wish they would have tried to incorporate a subway extension into their plans, but it seems very unlikely that we will see any kind of western extension in the next couple of decades.

Back