Toronto The Gloucester on Yonge | 147.82m | 44s | Concord Adex | a—A

So even the building at the corner of Yonge and Dundonald is coming down? Do we know that for certain?
That the relevant portion of the row houses are being saved is encouraging.

So even the building at the corner of Yonge and Dundonald is coming down? Do we know that for certain?
That the relevant portion of the row houses are being saved is encouraging.

No, yes

Everything on Yonge between Gloucester & Dundonald is coming down except for the building at the corner of Dundonald & Yonge I think. The row houses are staying except for the rear additions.

I'm glad to see that the rowhouses on Gloucester will be incorporated into the design and that the building on Yonge & Dundonald will be preserved. The rest is trash and mutilated beyond recognition. I just hope that the new development provides a variety of retail spaces to replace what's there now.

I'm glad to see that the rowhouses on Gloucester will be incorporated into the design and that the building on Yonge & Dundonald will be preserved. The rest is trash and mutilated beyond recognition. I just hope that the new development provides a variety of retail spaces to replace what's there now.

The building just north of Dundonald St. (not at the corner) has been messed with but it still looks fine and it's a heck of a lot better than anything that will replace it. There is nothing wrong at all with the retail spaces there now, until that small white strip plaza closer to Gloucester St. which again has good retail space, but is very disposable.

From Google Maps
Yonge.jpg

Glad they hired HP for the design. Not crazy about the line drawings but I'll reserve judgement until an actual render.

I'd like to see them try and push for retail on levels 1 and 2 instead of retail plus office. The design is no doubt fluid at this point.

What's going to replace Yonge Street for low rent but active retail when condos take over?

Dry cleaners, banks, pizza & coffee franchises. Bye-bye cool Yonge Street.

According to the plan (as far as I can tell), this proposal is a nightmare at street level. They are proposing only 2 entrances on Yonge and then one entrance each on Gloucester and Dundonald. Yonge should have 6-8 entrances so that the street can maintain the retail landscape and rhythm of Yonge. This is insensitive, bad architecture and plain dumb. I'm disappointed in HP. aA at least offered a ground floor schematic of the 501 Yonge proposal. This ones dares to ignore it.

Will there be anything left of Yonge Street?

Frankly, it would be a huge improvement if they tore down every old building on Yonge from Dundas up to Bloor. These once spectacular heritage buildings, that were all the rage over 100 years ago, are now nothing but ugly, trashy looking junk shops and strip joints. It brings down the look of the entire core. In a perfect world, every single one of these structures should be completely restored to their former glory, but knowing that will never happen, I'd much rather see brand new, modern towers as opposed to junk shops. It's a shame we loose so many heritage buildings, but if they are being allowed to rot, might as well replace them with something that speaks to Toronto's modernism. Too bad there is no way to force these trashy junk shop owners to fully restore, what could be, beautiful old structures! They are indeed an important part of our history, a visual link to what once was. Sadly, they will be no more.

Hanlansboy,

Do you travel much?

Judging by what is happening in every developed country in the world, many of Yonge street's heritage buildings are likely to see better days in the future if we hold on to them.

Frankly, it would be a huge improvement if they tore down every old building on Yonge from Dundas up to Bloor.

Frankly, this statement clearly ignores the fact that there are well restored building(s) along Yonge Street that I'd gladly trade 10 slightly above average condo buildings for. I'd gladly help you to identify those if you have trouble locating them.

AoD

Or, just tell him to look directly north from the thread addresses in question.

Gloucester-Mews-building-at-NE-corner-of-Yonge-Gloucester-June-22-2011-IMG_0945.jpg

So, hanlansboy, re your heritage ignorance--checkmate.

I know it's just a line drawing but it certainly it doesn't appear as though it will be a very exciting architectural experience.

C64D4A4E-7B3A-45D3-A714-0D8FE8A4D17F-2149-0000016B3F41619A.jpg

From the planning document I can see no sign they are saving Bar Volo. Did I miss something?

I hate the idea that a fine 1905 commercial building by a name architect will get trashed. Meanwhile some people here are satisfied that they're saving art of two bay and gables on the side street. We really don't have enough of those in Toronto???

Back