Toronto The Gloucester on Yonge | 147.82m | 44s | Concord Adex | a—A

42: That pic shows the corner of the building in question. Here's the next shot south:

pictures-r-4061.jpg

jje: I don't know if I'd call it a heavy reno - just the usual: windows and cornice. While it's not a great building, it does form a useful part of the historic street wall. Seems like it was done to match Herbert's earlier building at 587 to the south, which is interesting.

BTW here is why this block remained undeveloped for so long: James Stitt House, Yonge E side betw Gloucester & Dundonald, 1910:

pictures-r-5482.jpg

Hey when all intact, im all for heritage preservation . but to say they should bring a couple hacked mediocre structures back to the original form.....thats crazy, and who is paying for that

The developer could easily pay for a heritage restoration with a midrise development at the Gloucester corner. Or it could demolish everything and make a few million more.

I say let's deny rapacious developers their windfall profits for endrunning democracy at the OMB and destroying our heritage. So yes that's who should be "paying for that".

The developer could easily pay for a heritage restoration with a midrise development at the Gloucester corner. Or it could demolish everything and make a few million more.

I say let's deny rapacious developers their windfall profits for endrunning democracy at the OMB and destroying our heritage. So yes that's who should be "paying for that".

My goodness, again there is not much heritage on that site except that corner property..:confused:

49 storeys is an absurd here ask btw. 8 Gloucester - across the street - is zoned for 29 storeys and this site is located further away from Bloor than it is (ie: it should be less tall). my two cents.

49 storeys is an absurd here ask btw. 8 Gloucester - across the street - is zoned for 29 storeys and this site is located further away from Bloor than it is (ie: it should be less tall). my two cents.

Absurd? Five, which is just across the street (and even further from Bloor), is 48 storeys.

Personally, I'm in favour of the entire University to Church corridor from Bloor to the Lake going highrise. Provided that heritage buildings are preserved, why impose arbitrary height restrictions?

Good grief. Where the heck is the North Downtown Yonge Street Planning Framework, this is out of control.

The acceptance of proposals by the City is based on local precedents of course. 49 is being proposed because Five is close by at 48. Five, however, preserves a significant Yonge streetscape, whereas who knows what we'll be promised here. These guys are just trying to see what they can get, like any developer.

70 to 80 storeys would be laughed out the door between Bloor and College. That's why that height isn't being proposed "all the way up".

The building in the photo above is not related to this development - that's the one across the street.

No, no I was refering to the building adjacent to the car dealership- the one which looks as if it underwent a 1980s-esque reno. Having some of that red brick uncovered would be great in keeping the streetscape of Yonge continous.

jje: I don't know if I'd call it a heavy reno - just the usual: windows and cornice. While it's not a great building, it does form a useful part of the historic street wall. Seems like it was done to match Herbert's earlier building at 587 to the south, which is interesting.

From the streetview, it looks like it was reclad in a varigated brick with new windows installed, since the side elevations on Gloucester show a more reddish brick which I presume is the original material.

Last edited:
Don't worry, it's expected in late 2011, according to the city website.

Yes, I've seen that. I thought that I had lost track of it somewhere along the line. The longer that planning tool is held up, more of this crap is going to keep popping up along this corridor. 501 Yonge should have been the icing on the cake, then came 460 & now 587-599. Who knows what this fall will bring.

Back