Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

from the website, I thought they were planning to build block 32 and 36 first? Also they seem to be behind schedule. The schedule said they would start building in 2008 and finish by 2009. It's 2009 now and I see an empty lot.

Haha! Yeah, since when does anything remotely involved with government ever stick to a schedule?

Block 31

As of yesterday (Sept 1st) a sign is up for the zoning change for block 31.
43 story tower, 9 story building, 2 schools, daycare, community centre. I belive that this will be built before the other 2 empty cityplace TCHC blocks now.

I'm sure WestOne, N1/N2, and Montage owners driving by this sign would be more than a little 'suprised' when the find out what's going on in Block 31

I am not surprised...lol

I still have about 2-3 years to enjoy the view. By then I am sure I will be bored with condo life, and rent out the unit for a house in the suburbs ( or in Parade:) The value will depreciate somewhat of course, but I am hoping the maturing neighbourhood and park will offset it a little.

Actually, is 2-3 years realistic???

Last edited by a moderator:
I own a East facing 1 bed. unit in N1 (15 Fort York). Should I be selling it quickly, as the value of the neighborhood will decrease significantly once this development is complete? My long term plan was to rent this unit out, but not sure if it is worth holding onto? Any thoughts?

Why would the value of the neighborhood will decrease significantly once this development is complete?

/\ I was halfway thorough typing the same question when I realized you beat me to it...

I was thinking that people would not want to pay the current market prices once affordable housing is built nearby. Based on your responses, I am thinking this may not be the case? I am thinking you will site areas like the st.Lawrence market, but I don't think cityplace compares, it doesn't have the same character.

Block 31

I was thinking that people would not want to pay the current market prices once affordable housing is built nearby. Based on your responses, I am thinking this may not be the case? I am thinking you will site areas like the st.Lawrence market, but I don't think cityplace compares, it doesn't have the same character.

My concern is will TCHC actually look after these buildings or will they be a mess like the other towers they have.

My concern is will TCHC actually look after these buildings or will they be a mess like the other towers they have.

The quality of recent TCHC buildings (Teeple's 60 Richmond, aA's, D+S and Kearns Mancini's contributions to Regents Park, etc.) however, far surpasses what has been constructed in CP, so perhaps your worries should be reversed? TCHC has engaged Toronto's design community and for the most part, they've responded. The fact that aA and MJMA have been brought in to design this latest structure is not only good news, it's good urbanism and it will be good for CP as a whole. The firm I work for is doing the structural work on the Block and from what I've seen, it should blow pretty much all existing Cp buildings out of the water.

As an aside, perhaps you could elaborate on how the creation of two schools, plus an extension of the decidedly underwhelming park would hurt real-estate values in this budding community?

As an aside, perhaps you could elaborate on how the creation of two schools, plus an extension of the decidedly underwhelming park would hurt real-estate values in this budding community?

I never stated any concern with the schools (although 2 seems odd). Your companies designs may be fabulous. I'll reserve my opinion on that till if/when they are built. I do know that people bought were informed that only the schools and community centre were being built there, no mention of a tower.

I tend to agree with you on CP build quality as I live in CP and have had to deal with many issues.

Now what I did say was "will TCHC actually look after these buildings..." as in properly managed/maintained, not a good track record. And I stated no concern for property values, as I rent.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe PE was referring to Bubba's earlier comments, not yours.

The two schools are to be a public school and a Catholic school, both K-6 I think.

Back