Toronto CityPlace: Canoe Landing Community Centre & Schools | 15.85m | 3s | City of Toronto | ZAS Architects

From Saturday:

IMG_1871.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,351
Friday afternoon:
20170728_124944_resized.jpg

20170728_124947_resized.jpg

20170728_124935_resized.jpg

20170728_124937_resized.jpg

20170728_124936_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20170728_124935_resized.jpg
    20170728_124935_resized.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 727
  • 20170728_124937_resized.jpg
    20170728_124937_resized.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 754
  • 20170728_124936_resized.jpg
    20170728_124936_resized.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 777
  • 20170728_124944_resized.jpg
    20170728_124944_resized.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 757
  • 20170728_124947_resized.jpg
    20170728_124947_resized.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 858
Media Advisory

September 11, 2017

Sod-turning ceremony for Canoe Landing multi-use facility in Toronto

Mayor John Tory and other dignitaries will join members of the community on Wednesday to celebrate the start of construction of the Canoe Landing multi-use facility.

The other dignitaries scheduled to participate are Councillor James Pasternak, (Ward 10 York Centre), Chair of the City's Community Development and Recreation Committee, Councillor Joe Cressy (Ward 20 Trinity-Spadina), Toronto District School Board (TDSB) Chair Robin Pilkey, Toronto Catholic District School Board (TCDSB) Chair Angela Kennedy, TDSB Trustee Ausma Malik and TCDSB Trustee Jo-Ann Davis.

Date: Wednesday, September 13
Time: 10:15 to 11 a.m.
Location: Southwest corner of Canoe Landing construction site

Note about location and parking: The site is adjacent to Canoe Landing Park, off Fort York Boulevard between Spadina Avenue and Bathurst Street. There will be limited parking at the site for members of the media; details, including a map, are available by emailing aggie.fortier@toronto.ca

Toronto is Canada's largest city, the fourth largest in North America, and home to a diverse population of about 2.8 million people. It is a global centre for business, finance, arts and culture and is consistently ranked one of the world's most livable cities. In 2017, Toronto is honouring Canada's 150th birthday with "TO Canada with Love," a year-long program of celebrations, commemorations and exhibitions. For information on non-emergency City services and programs, Toronto residents, businesses and visitors can visit http://www.toronto.ca, call 311, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/TorontoComms and on Instagram at http://www.instagram.com/cityofto.

- 30 -

These schools are undersized for this rapidly growing neighbourhood. Lots of young families are having children and living in this condo community. And new developments coming...For example, the likely towers built over part of the rail corridor, Front/Bathurst under construction, and the Well now underway will add more families within walking distance. It will be much more expensive and disruptive to upside these schools in 10 years.

Also, why two separate schools with duplicate administration costs? Why do we continue to support a religiously affiliated school board -- is it politically untouchable?

Why do we continue to support a religiously affiliated school board -- is it politically untouchable?

Well there is section 93 of the Constitution. Yeah it's a relic. at least we don't have any "well regulated militia" nonsense up here.

Well there is section 93 of the Constitution. Yeah it's a relic. at least we don't have any "well regulated militia" nonsense up here.

Thank God, Amen

....Section 93 of the 1867 British North America Act lays down the constitutional framework of public education in Canada. It authorizes provincial legislatures to make laws related to education in their provinces but disallows laws that infringe upon the interests of certain groups. Its impact is great.

Great to see this started, but I still think we should have had a higher and better use of these lands than ONLY school/community centre development, but nothing can block those precious views I guess, at least in this case.

Great to see this started, but I still think we should have had a higher and better use of these lands than ONLY school/community centre development, but nothing can block those precious views I guess, at least in this case.

I'm typically onboard with that POV, but I don't mind the use of space here -- this, to me, represents pretty good usage given how they followed through with the design (and it represents a better use of space than the townhouses immediately to the east of it). I don't think we need towers on every single lot, per se, and there's certainly a bunch of them in these immediate blocks. To me, the townhouse site is conceptually a better target for those charges than the community centre/school.

In general, though, yes, I'd love for there to be a more widespread acknowledgment that schools and community centres can exist in tall buildings (the city's getting there in some instances).

True, and I suppose there should be some consideration here of shadows on the park from the East, so on the plus side at least this provides a buffer zone for shadowing from the taller towers along Spadina.

Does anyone know what the boundaries would be for these schools or know where to get this info?

Thanks!!

Back