Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

For one, they could have designed the boxy protrusion on Adelaide to actually look like it belongs. Continuing the terracotta colour of the podium or at least the white precast of the insets onto it; instead it has zero relationship with the rest of the podium and looks like a over-large bus shelter pushed up against the building.

Second, the corner at Adelaide and Widmer is bland and blank, it is set up to be more with the upturned roof above, but completely fails to continue the theme or do anything of interest. Also, the stepped cladding due to the slope could have easily been avoided since there really is not much slope and it stands out with the contrast of the red and black.

^ I was going to comment about that corner as well. Why put the parking exit there instead of a cafe for example where a patio could have spilled out onto the sidewalk. It is the 'entertainment district' after all.
Just terrible. Why didn't our design panel demand better here?

the cheesy entrance is the public art component

Seriously????

Somebody has some splaining to do.

How is the multi-purpose space on the ground level working out? The addition of a theatre of that size is needed in this area

Um....I just assumed because of the name, that there was a cinema as part of the project...is this not the case?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't been following this project very closely, as I perceived it as just another cheap burn'em & churn'em POS condo project....and it appears my guy feeling was dead on.

Just terrible. Why didn't our design panel demand better here?

They're too busy turning down Gehry masterpieces a block over.

It's becoming obvious that the desired effect of this so-called "design panel" is clearly just not working out.

The design panel has not reviewed Gehry's building yet.

Ah right, I forgot....the Planning Department gets 1st dibs at effing up great projects before the design panel gets their kick at the can.

That's why developers build shite like Cinema Tower, which is still high density tall buildings, where heritage buildings were demolished if memory serves, and has bad design, poor street presence and no public realm amenities (including the so-called mandatory art component).

That's why there's tons of this going up in the area with no problem, while we'd rather slit our wrists than have a meaningless little warehouse building with a Tim Hortons torn down for game-changing eye candy archy-tecker, a world class art museum and the nations top art school.

I hope never ! Unless it goes into the base. That place is always sooo crowded, it must be doing well !

This looks a bit tacky to me...
DSCN2324_zpsa810144c.jpg

DSCN2325_zps507fc484.jpg

DSCN2326_zps945b9c6f.jpg

Really at a loss for words regarding this entrance. I love the treatment or lackthereof of the concrete pillar - not to mention, look at the down spout they installed on both sides! What an embarrassment.

This is section 37 funded artwork no? Is there any way the City can demand they redo it? This definitely stretches the definition of art...

Back