Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

I feel like that entrance has got to be an intentional troll by the artist against condo development. If not, then dear god, I'm at a loss for words.

I actually like the rock entrance my self. But, not having done the centre one the same is what bugs me. It looks unfinnished and out of place.

16 November 2013: I realized the best view of Cinema Tower is here :p
ffwd.jpg

16 November 2013: I realized the best view of Cinema Tower is here :p
ffwd.jpg

Looks like the building is secreting, not a good look.
I feel sorry for those who bought or will be living here. It would be a deal breaker for me.
There was a lawsuit by the artist against the developer for his work on the art installation in the lobby of Festival Tower -- maybe this was his way of getting back? Though I saw the artist's website and most of his work is almost as bad as this Flintstone-like monstrosity.

I actually don't mind this building in general. The orange accents and the concave/convex shapes of the tower are quite nice. If they only got rid of the hideous entrance and made the rippled precast panels of the podium a deeper richer colour, it would be a huge improvement.

Looks really interesting

That green glass looks like toothpaste.

I've not seen this place in situ yet, however, I think in the end the overall contrast created by this building's "geologically" themed front entrance and "sandstone-like" parking podium will refreshingly contrast against the mostly handsome dark stones and/or smooth glass podium facades in its immediate nabe.

My only concern pertains to those two unsightly(!) white downspouts. I guess it's too late to put them behind the interesting facade (which s/h/b done). Are they going to leave that middle concrete pillar in its current condition? It would be nice to see it continue the existing design scheme.

It's great to see that artists are trying something different!

Last edited:
There was a lawsuit by the artist against the developer for his work on the art installation in the lobby of Festival Tower -- maybe this was his way of getting back? Though I saw the artist's website and most of his work is almost as bad as this Flintstone-like monstrosity.

You have that mixed up. It was Michael Snow who brought a lawsuit against Daniels, claiming they had backed out of a deal to commission him to do the art for Festival Tower. Daniels stated that they had never had a contract with Snow. I have not asked how that suit was settled.

It is Peter Powning's slumped glass sculpture with colour-morphing LEDs behind which is the main art piece in the Festival Tower lobby. It's pretty successful if you ask me, and Powning has brought the slumped glass to the façade of Cinema Tower too, having it ooze out of the bronze portion of the striated frieze. While the vast majority agree that the effect of the whole work is a failure on Cinema Tower, I really like the bronze portion with the impressed objects (there's a pile of detail in there to enjoy) and I'm a fan of the slumped glass too, especially at night when it's glowing from behind.

It glows?

You have that mixed up. It was Michael Snow who brought a lawsuit against Daniels, claiming they had backed out of a deal to commission him to do the art for Festival Tower. Daniels stated that they had never had a contract with Snow. I have not asked how that suit was settled.

It is Peter Powning's slumped glass sculpture with colour-morphing LEDs behind which is the main art piece in the Festival Tower lobby. It's pretty successful if you ask me, and Powning has brought the slumped glass to the façade of Cinema Tower too, having it ooze out of the bronze portion of the striated frieze. While the vast majority agree that the effect of the whole work is a failure on Cinema Tower, I really like the bronze portion with the impressed objects (there's a pile of detail in there to enjoy) and I'm a fan of the slumped glass too, especially at night when it's glowing from behind.

Wow, now I can't wait to see this at night(!) I will be visiting Toronto during the American Thanksgiving "long weekend" so will make an effort to check it out at night! Whether or not Torontonians are aware of this, but despite the carnage, lies and reputational damage from your tragically laughable mayor, your city remains in high regards by many S of the border! Visiting Toronto is like time traveling into a future high tech metropolis (well except for the antiquated subway system that is mostly still manned as opposed to automated) where everything is sleek, clean and orderly.

Back