Toronto Cinema Tower | 142.64m | 43s | Daniels | Kirkor Architects

I'm not sure I've quite got it in this photo, but tonight with the setting sun on it, the orange stripe on Cinema Tower glowed like neon and looked great.

DSC05974.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05974.jpg
    DSC05974.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 2,019
One issue is that all the high-rises in the area are similar in height. From some angles, it looks like an oppressive grey wall of glass. The individual towers don't stand out as much. The Cinema Tower is an easy target with its cheap cladding, sterile parking garage podium and goofy Jurassic Park entrance. But it has some interesting details too like the curves, colourful accents and the pavilion-like retail storefront.

Curves are abundant in Toronto. They are not a feature in their basic form. In Cinema's case, the curves don't really compliment each other made more apparent by the overuse of spandrel.

Curves are abundant in Toronto. They are not a feature in their basic form. In Cinema's case, the curves don't really compliment each other made more apparent by the overuse of spandrel.

Most towers are rectilinear in Toronto. Unless a building's curves follow an unusual property, for instance along a curve in the road, they are a feature. They're incorporated to enhance the building's form. The curves on this tower look interesting from some perspectives.

Most towers are rectilinear in Toronto. Unless a building's curves follow an unusual property, for instance along a curve in the road, they are a feature. They're incorporated to enhance the building's form. The curves on this tower look interesting from some perspectives.

I disagree. Curved facades are everywhere. aA is one of the few out of our more prolific firms to seldom use them.
Just look what P+S has done to our waterfront.

I disagree. Curved facades are everywhere. aA is one of the few out of our more prolific firms to seldom use them.
Just look what P+S has done to our waterfront.

aA, Diamond Schmitt, KPMB and Teeple are all firms that design predominantly rectilinear buildings. If you look up projects at random in the UT database, you'll see how hard it is to find new projects with curves. Almost all of our 20th century towers are rectilinear as well.

Back