Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Can't say I'm as enthusiastic as some other users here about this tower's looks. Seems like another generic office tower to me. Can someone enlighten me?
Almost everything built in Toronto in the last 80 or so years has been generic, this one's just a little less generic than most.
Generic, lol...you both are out of touch

Not at all, it doesn't have much going for it other than a simple diamond pattern on the side. It's nicer than a plain glass box, but that's a pretty low standard to set. It's still a glass box.
Just wait to see it when it's all done..... you will change your mind.

What are you going to do. At least this building's has a dark glazed diamond window facade that will enhance this area somewhat. It would have been nice to see these two development rise about 1000 feet. Because of its unique lighting system it could have been seen from even further distances.

This building, in a lot of ways, is the first of what could be considered a "golden period" of major buildings. Consider that after a Wilkinson Eyre project we have: a Roger Stirk Harbour, TWO Bjarke Ingles, an Adrian Smith and Gordon Gills, TWO Frank Gehry supertalls, a Kohn Pedersen Fox and a Studio Gang to boot.

ive seen NewYorkers and Londoners drool over this set of buildings and u think its not good enough?

Like I said, if it's better than other generic towers going up around the world, that's nothing to be proud of. No one's actually answered my question as to what is so attractive about this building. I don't find the design appealing.

Like I said, if it's better than other generic towers going up around the world, that's nothing to be proud of. No one's actually answered my question as to what is so attractive about this building. I don't find the design appealing.

the quality of glass and the 3D diamond pattern that changes the reflection of light all over the building.

the lighting feature will also be really impressive if it turns out as good as the renders but we won't know that until the building is almost done.

In a global context, there is nothing interesting about these towers going up as there are dozens of better-looking towers going up all over the world. but for Toronto, it's spectacular because we don't get many nice-looking office towers going up. Maybe the lighting feature will be world-class but I doubt it with the limitation the city has on lighting features.

Last edited:
so Neutrino what is a recent project in the world that is not generic in your opinion? to be honest if you cant see the beauty of this project so far then u will never understand it no matter how many times we answer your question.

so Neutrino what is a recent project in the world that is not generic in your opinion? to be honest if you cant see the beauty of this project so far then u will never understand it no matter how many times we answer your question.

although you didn't ask me the question, but if you go through the last 10 pages of this thread on skyscrapercity, CIBC Square will start looking generic

I don't follow architecture so I wouldn't know. My point is that this particular design doesn't seem to merit the adulation in this thread. It's not awful or anything. I think it looks fine. The praise is just overblown.

I think it’s an outstanding building in terms of material, the diamond patterns and (hopefully) the lights. But it IS relatively subtle and conservative compared to some of the towers going up in Dubai, Shanghai and London. Some may prefer those, others find them tacky - there’s no right or wrong, it’s a matter of taste.

Back