Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
That old CIBC logo is right up there with my all-time favourite logos. I'd love to see it return.

(Off on a tangent, but another favourite of that era is the old National Benzole logo.)
Kind of matches the building too :)

As for National Benzole... just been looking at that courtesy of Google. Love the 1930s advertising - a completely naked man with a winged helmet suggestively holding a petrol pump, in front of glamorous 1930s ladies looking shocked and uttering the line "Oh Mr Mercury! You did give me a start!". What a triumph of advertising! It's not all progress...

Last edited:
Diamond fix...(taken this afternoon).

Soon we'll have diamonds encrusted within bigger diamonds...

CIBC-1.jpg

CIBC-2.jpg

CIBC-3.jpg

CIBC-4.jpg

Adding glass to the bridge...

CIBC-5.jpg

CIBC-6.jpg

You couldn't pay me enough to do this even with a safety harness...he appeared to be tightening two screws per fastener-thingamajig atop the canopy.

CIBC-7.jpg

CIBC-8.jpg

CIBC-9.jpg

CIBC-10.jpg

Meanwhile on the northwest corner, this may be more my cup of tea. Maybe.

CIBC-11.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at this building from different angles you can actually see how rich the deep blue glazed glass looks like in some of the photos up above! And and I got to say that this one and the future twin building is going to stand up from a distance!

This building should have been taller. Should have been over 300m
Should have been over 300m taller than it's supposed to be. Or a 1000m taller.

I just don't like this table top effect in Toronto skyline. Where all the buildings in downtown are mostly the same height with FCP being the lone tall building in the middle. It gives the skyline a very boring manicured look.

I like tall buildings thrown here and there...gives it a sense of more chaos and big city vibe.

New York Skyline is great because you have supertall buildings mixed with tall buildings.

Construction Notice
Dear neighbours,

As a reminder, Bay Street will be fully closed to all traffic and pedestrians between Lake Shore Blvd. W. and Front St. W. from 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, September 14th until 5 a.m. Monday, September 16th for installation of a new PATH pedestrian bridge over Bay Street and restoration work being performed by Metrolinx on the north side of the Bay Street rail corridor overbuild. When complete, the pedestrian bridge will connect CIBC SQUARE to the northeast corner of the Scotiabank Arena. Work will include steel construction and scaffolding installation, which will generate noise similar to that of the steelwork at the overbuild park.

During this closure, pedestrians may access Union Station GO Bus Terminal, the Union Station Bay East and West Teamways, Scotiabank Arena Gate 1, and Bremner Blvd. from Front St. only.

In addition, construction crews will be on-site this Sunday, September 15th to raise the man and material hoist. This work is being completed to maintain access with the tower as it continues to rise and will occur between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. It is not expected to produce significant noise. All other work for 81 Bay is being performed within permitted times under existing Noise By-Law Exemption Permits.

We thank you in advance for your patience during this phase of construction. For any questions or comments, please email us at community@CIBCSQUARE.com.

This building should have been taller. Should have been over 300m

I just don't like this table top effect in Toronto skyline. Where all the buildings in downtown are mostly the same height with FCP being the lone tall building in the middle. It gives the skyline a very boring manicured look.

I like tall buildings thrown here and there...gives it a sense of more chaos and big city vibe.

New York Skyline is great because you have supertall buildings mixed with tall buildings.

The original 3-tower proposal probably looks better

Too bad they couldn't make it work.

Back