Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
About time Toronto gets a kick ass office tower. Everything built so far in this last boom has been nice but nothing to get excited about.

Agree. It was 1985 (Scotia Plaza) the last time Toronto built an office tower of note. I doubt people would have thought they'd have to wait 34 years for Toronto to build another one. The HUB suggests that we won't have to wait till 2053 for the next one. I would have mentioned Commerce Court 3 but after the last revision I'm not sure it qualifies any more. Commerce Court 3 will be a nice large addition (unless it gets watered down even more) but not much more.

Last edited:
Agree. It was 1985 (Scotia Plaza) the last time Toronto built an office tower of note. I doubt people would have thought they'd have to wait 34 years for Toronto to build another one. The HUB suggests that we won't have to wait till 2053 for the next one. I would have mentioned Commerce Court 3 but after the last revision I'm not sure it qualifies any more. Commerce Court 3 will be a nice large addition (unless it gets watered down even more) but not much more.
Brookfield Place would like a word

Brookfield Place would like a word
agree with MidTowner.

Exterior materials aside..... major 2 tower development linked by a Calatrava interior masterpiece. Geez isaidso.

B3CF9876-B37A-47FD-BCF4-4C9B5A146008.jpeg
3513250A-4516-4F4A-BD8C-34C604A8B081.jpeg

Tremendous photos Ryan_T. Many thanks. I hope it's never lost by UT Forum Members that Southcore must be one of the most incredible transformations of any downtown piece of land in North American history. And it's not finished yet!

agree with MidTowner.

Exterior materials aside..... major 2 tower development linked by a Calatrava interior masterpiece. Geez isaidso.

It was just a matter of time before someone came to the defence of that thing. The Calatrava ceiling between the 2 towers is fabulous, the towers themselves aren't. Brookfield might feature prominently in the skyline due to its height and staggered finish at the top but it's mundane. These towers are unremarkable.

TD Place, Scotia Plaza, Commerce Court? Top shelf, timeless, and beautiful.
Brookfield? Middle shelf, clumsy, and borderline tacky
Calatrava designed Allen Lambert Galleria connecting TD Canada Trust and Bay-Wellington: Fabulous

Last edited:
This building will have a huge Impact on the Toronto skyline

I like how they are already putting on the glass windows

CRANE QUESTION. This building has 'external cranes' and it seems to me that there is no way for the operator to get to the cabin at the top without climbing up from the bottom - there seem to be no walkways on the supporting arms (though @Michael62 or others with good views may disagree). For cranes that are 'inside' the building envelope I know the operators can take the construction elevators to their top level and only climb from there. Yes?

It's almost as though building large office buildings has more to do with the vicissitudes of the market rather than just constructing objects 'of note'...

Back